cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cause for sudden inverter & battery death?

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Our RV is in the shop for some changes. Suddenly, the inverter is no longer charging the batteries. Both batteries & inverter were fine... Ideas as to cause? Will the batteries be OK with a new inverter, or are they toast now too? Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
They found they had damaged a wire during repair. Hopefully, all will be well now...

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Converter and batteries need to be separated so they can be tested individually.
Could be either or both causing issue.

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, not enough caffeine before posting. ... Converter, not inverter! Thanks!

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
I had some converters come to my door last Sunday. I told them to wait while I grabbed a dead chicken and hammer and nails. When I returned they were nowhere to be seen. They didn't even leave a stack of literature. How strange.

Dont'cha LOVE buzzwords?

You must've had other neighbors in dire need of ,,,,,,,,,,, convertin

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is 30A Trailer Electrical plan...

Might help determine what is is what in the RV world...

Google Image

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I had some converters come to my door last Sunday. I told them to wait while I grabbed a dead chicken and hammer and nails. When I returned they were nowhere to be seen. They didn't even leave a stack of literature. How strange.

Dont'cha LOVE buzzwords?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Converter

Inverter

Perverter

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Converter. You tell us.. use a voltmeter.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
RVcrazy wrote:
Our RV is in the shop for some changes. Suddenly, the inverter is no longer charging the batteries. Both batteries & inverter were fine... Ideas as to cause? Will the batteries be OK with a new inverter, or are they toast now too? Thanks!

Inverter? or Converter?
Converter is the built in unit that uses 120 Volt AC power to charge the batteries. Inverter is usually an add on unit that makes 120 Volt AC power from the batteries.
If your Converter is bad, yes the batteries will eventually go dead and while they may be dmaged it isnt necessarily fatal.
As with almost everything 12 volt power connected, check the grounds first, a bad ground anywhere can stop everything from working.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Hard to say. Suggest you get an electrical person to troubleshoot properly. Could be severar things.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter