cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Charging my Interstate wet cells

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Have a Xantrex Freedom inverter/charger that's not charging my Interstates at proper voltage. As per the specs Interstate guy handed me they should bulk up to 14.8 but looks like the Xantrx only gets them up to 14.2

Unfortunately, I cant set a custom charge rate on the Xantrex, just battery type.

During the day my Classic Charge controller charges them and I can set the proper charge rate. I did that last night and I'm waiting for them to go into float so I can get a proper temp corrected specific gravity.

We are off grid and in the PM when I start the genset for the evening charge I typically run the generator till the Xantrex kicks into float.

I want to get those buggers up to capacity so it looks like I'll be shopping for a 3 stage charger that I can custom program. I need one that will also output the amps so I don't have to run genset longer than needed.

Id LOVE to upgrade the Xantrex but currently don't have the funds.

Also, if the Interstates are toast it looks like I might be purchasing Sams Club 6 volts or perhaps pickup some t-105's

Suggestions welcome!

Thanks All!
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel
28 REPLIES 28

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
DO WHAT WORKS

IGNORE ALIEN ORDERS

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
si bien. lo que dijo
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Running a generator to get a 20 amp charge rate is a little like using a railroad switch engine to pull a little red racer toy wagon. Without solar there is little choice with solar there is every choice but only one charge regimen is not totally loco. Charge the batteries to within the maximum capability of finishing the charge before the sun drops.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned and IMO, your charging operation is upside down. People often hit the batteries with a generator charge in the morning rather than evening to get a little efficiency out of the generator by bulking the batteries rather than float charging them, THEN finish with the solar.

My Magnum actually has a mode that removes the Float stage of the charge if the user is topping off by another means, like Solar.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all!
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Problem: Winter solstice. Tree shade. Clouds. Seagull souvenirs. Let the main genset hammer what it can into the batteries then when it quits and takes its ball and goes home at 14.2 the Megawatt is great down to around 6-7 amps per battery. After that it ain't worth running the generator. It's that magic 20-40 amps the perverter cannot touch is where the Mega shines. When Quicksilver starts there is a 15-second delay until 21-horsepower drags the Cummins down. 400 amps of 28 volts does not screw around. It would be nice to have a 200 amp Megawatt but oh well. Balancing solar and generator is an art form that can only be correctly conducted by the owner. When I had an aircraft carrier deck load of panels on the 33' trailer. I got away with a 200 amp charge rate for a hour near sunrise. At dusk the batteries were at 100%...in no clouds Baja California.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Solar has them at 14.8 for two hours on solar. Then fire up the generator and continue at 14.8 volts?

Reread OP's 2nd post ๐Ÿ˜‰

Megawatt in the morning.... I am all over that. Or for equalization.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Who the krap said five amps?

When those batteries shut down at 14.2 fire the Megawatt and not in fiction or guesswork but in real genuine rootin tootin life EXPERIENCE how many real genuine authentic amps will go into those batteries. Try 30+

Advice should come from actual experience not guesswork, or misfired sarcasm.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
MrWizard wrote:
you might consider a little generator time early in the day
to get some heavy amps in and raise the voltage
then perhaps the solar would get them to 14.8 earlier in the day, so they would be at 14.8 for a longer period

+1 this right here.

If you are burning fuel you may as well put some real power in.
Let the solar hold 14.8 the rest of the day.

Why fire up the Megawatt to get 5 amps and tapering into the battery?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Habits change. Fred Flintstone '07 could have morphed to Power Ranger '16.

Of course then again it's always fun using a Peterbilt tractor to tow an airstream. Generators cost lots of gasoline and emit all the fun hothouse gasses. No need to worry about wide open outdoors ambience the generator hum will simulate saturday night on Times Square.

Charge batteries. Then shut @#$%^&! generator off.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
mchero wrote:
allen8106 wrote:
If you are having to do an evening charge with the generator then the solar system isn't set up right. Unlesss you are using a ton of Ah a properly setup solar system shoud get you through the night.

Allen
Do you think the fact my house batteries are original in this 07 Discovery might have something todo with the evening charge? LOL

Seriously, I'm aware that the house batteries are the issue. I'm looking to get a proper AC driven charger before investing in new batteries.

Thanks for the post.

If your batteries lasted that long using the 14.2v then you can ignore the 14.8 spec IMO. That makes the 14.8 "nice to have" but not vital.

Yes get the Sam's 6s and start over but do your gen time earlier and let the solar do the rest , including whatever 14.8 time you get before dark.

You don't need new equipment IMO.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Seรฑor Robert the Megawatt takes over when your converter charger falls flat on its face. The 36 amp model is plenty. 72 amp hours added in just a few hours. Set voltage to 14.8

The wireless remote controls for wall sockets work great or use an Intermatic 4 hour timer. I like the idea of a three stage converter that is slapped awake with the help of the Megawatt.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
And I am spending all this time on the Megawatt issue but I guess all my posts are written on invisible ink...

$65 Set it for 14.8 volts when regular charger goes stupid start Megawatt. I spit on the screen maybe the ink will stick.

Mex, I see your ink!
Thanks for the suggestion, just the ticket. I'm looking to stick with wet cells because of the budget. What amperage charger you suggest?

Thanks again, I do indeed watch all your posts and thanks for the contributions to this forum. Would not be the same w/o you!

Robert in Q
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
If you are having to do an evening charge with the generator then the solar system isn't set up right. Unlesss you are using a ton of Ah a properly setup solar system shoud get you through the night.

Allen
Do you think the fact my house batteries are original in this 07 Discovery might have something todo with the evening charge? LOL

Seriously, I'm aware that the house batteries are the issue. I'm looking to get a proper AC driven charger before investing in new batteries.

Thanks for the post.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee