cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Charging question

Cheyenps
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago I remember checking the voltage at my truck battery to see if the charging system system was working correctly. The instructions were to check the voltage at the battery with the engine running and then check the voltage with the headlights turned on. IIRC, the voltage was supposed to jump up to about 15 volts with the lights on, indicating that the charging system was working.

Do modern charging systems work this way? If so, would I get faster charging back to my TT batteries if I ran with the headlights on as a matter of course?
Steve

2008 Thor California Summit 26RLS
2003 Ford F-350 SRW Crew Cab Utility
9 REPLIES 9

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've seen my float voltage maintained at 13.1V/110F and 13.9V/25F for GC2 batteries.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
pnichols wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Modern charging systems are temperature compensating and will allow higher voltages.

Modern charging systems will also put out only 12.9 to 13.1 volts under certain temperature conditions.

I've seen my RV's 130 amp Ford alternator put out only this much in 100 degree outside temperatures. It was probably REALLY HOT under the hood in these outside temperatures, too. The good thing is that in these temperatures, I wouldn't want my batteries to be seeing voltages any higher than this, either.

Exactly, the temperature adjusted voltages are probably why batteries last as long as they do.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
THE problem with charging a TT with a tow vehicle is the disheateningly long distance and vulnerable connections. 20 amps of trailer solar panels works beteer than a thousand dollars worth of charging line modifications. It isn't even a fair comparison.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
Modern charging systems are temperature compensating and will allow higher voltages.

Modern charging systems will also put out only 12.9 to 13.1 volts under certain temperature conditions.

I've seen my RV's 130 amp Ford alternator put out only this much in 100 degree outside temperatures. It was probably REALLY HOT under the hood in these outside temperatures, too. The good thing is that in these temperatures, I wouldn't want my batteries to be seeing voltages any higher than this, either.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Modern charging systems are temperature compensating and will allow higher voltages. In the cold weather it would not surprise me to see 15V or so.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Plus you'll get more charging to the TT batteries with the headlights off and bigger cable. Most TT/5 ers/trucks have relative small wiring from the alternator to the house batteries. Larger wire and less TV loads means more amps to the battery.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
For faster charging on the road think 200 to 400 watts of solar :B

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Check the voltage with the engine off, then with it running. If it's higher with the engine running then it's charging. Headlights on or off shouldn't matter....

Voltage engine off 13.4-13.6
Voltage engine on 13.7-14.5

Actual numbers depend on battery and alternator condition so it's give or take a few tenths of a volt.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
The alternator should charge between 13.6 and 14.6 volts regardless of the headlights. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"