Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Checking hydrometer accuracy with charged battery voltage

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
Is it true that:

Specific Gravity = Cell Open Circuit Voltage - 0.845?

Could one average the specific gravity readings across cells in a battery, and use this formula to check the accuracy of the voltmeter and/or hydrometer (based on which one is calibrated better)?

Jim
22 REPLIES 22

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
HiTech wrote:
So I love the song, but can I call a friend? I need a clue on the video. With luck I won't blow any thing up (this time).

Jim
LOL! The song was meant to emphasize MEX being on point as usual. ๐Ÿ™‚

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
So I love the song, but can I call a friend? I need a clue on the video. With luck I won't blow any thing up (this time).

Jim

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Hi Tech, do it the old fashioned bass-ackwards way. Get your hands on a flask of guaranteed brand new electrolyte that certifiably has the OEM density posted on the container.

Then go from there...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m48GqaOz90

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm would a battery shop have this? Maybe buy a hydrometer from them if it agrees with their acid.

Jim

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Tech, do it the old fashioned bass-ackwards way. Get your hands on a flask of guaranteed brand new electrolyte that certifiably has the OEM density posted on the container.

Then go from there...

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
Lol 3 kids in college and tuition bills almost due.

My idea in the other post about getting the relation of SG to voltage was to try a cheapie and see if it agrees.

Jim

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
You could buy a Freas and a few others, note the differences and post those here. ๐Ÿ™‚

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
It seems like a lot of the hydrometers available could easily be .1 or more off just fom posts here. If I could find a $15 one that was half way accurate until I get a Freas I'd be happy but it seems really hard to get info on accuracy or repeatability of the moderately priced units. Especially anything I can find locally.

Jim

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I do not see how. The longer a cell sits just after charge cessation up to an hour the higher the gravity climbs because the lag and over run tendency of chemical / electrical relationships. The electrolyte could cool and gain density but the other war round is hard to envision.

Then again I am assuming the measuring instrument is reasonably accurate. A .02 error to me is unacceptable. But an OEM releasing 1.300 FLA to the public would be even more disturbing. Oh well, that's life.

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
Mex it was not a resting reading if i read BFLs post correctly so I guess it would drop a bit?

Jim

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I adjust 1.280 SG down to 1.265 for average temps near 100. I have never heard of OEM using 1.300 except for polar applications.

At 25C 1.300 SG will eat a battery 20% faster than 1.280 acid.

Maybe I read this wrong.

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
mena661 wrote:
HiTech wrote:
12.78v predicted. Pretty close given likely error in hydrometer and volt meter. Even more so if it had settled slightly at 24 hours.
I know you didn't ask but I use a Victron battery monitor for voltage (does other stuff), it uses a shunt (like the Trimetric), and a Freas hydrometer which I understand to be pretty accurate.

I'm using three shunt meters as well - a watts up and two turnigies. They are not quite as good because there is 3 inches of wire between the battery and shunt vs the cool on post shunt a lot of you use, but both seem pretty accurate. I desoldered the shunt on one of my watts up with too much transient current. I am thinking of getting a larger one and remote mounting it at the battery post. They have directions on how to do this on their web site.

Jim

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
Boundary conditions were of course a great test. At a SG of 1.000 volts are 0 so of course this is way off as you take it out of normal operating ranges. Good approach.

I wonder if there is a better formula that actually correlates specific gravity to voltage. I assume it must be a curve rather than a linear relationship.

The paper shows charge *pretty* linear down to 2 molar acid, then it avalanches.

Ok so it's a log function.

Voltage= voltage at 1 molar acid concentration (say 11.7v) + 26mV*ln(molarity of acid)

At normal temp and for a battery where it is 11.7v being discharged down to a molarity of 1.

Jim

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
Ok more reading lol. I only got are far as organic chemistry. I considered it just a specialty of physics which pissed of chemists no end.

Yes I believe Freas to be the best commonly available.

Jim

On edit: ktmrfs add "battcon" to google searches for deep papers. I have found it helpful.