cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Circuit breaker or fuse?

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
So. I’ll be installing a 3000W inverter and with that, what is better? A 300A circuit breaker or an ANL fuse? I like the circuit breaker so I don’t have to keep spare fuses and a circuit breaker will be easier to just reset.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
16 REPLIES 16

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
So. I’ll be installing a 3000W inverter and with that, what is better? A 300A circuit breaker or an ANL fuse? I like the fuse so I don’t have to keep spare fuses, but a circuit breaker will be easier to just reset.

look at or estimate what the MAX short circuit current of your battery bank could be. Make sure whatever fuse or breaker you choose will interupt that current level.

When I did checking for my install of a 1000W inverter, ANL fuses worked, most reasonably sized, affordable, obtainable circuit breakers weren't spec'd for the battery bank short circuit current capability.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I would want a way to disconnect power to the inverter quickly in an emergency. A breaker allows for that. I'm not sure why you think you wouldn't need a spare fuse. I would think a spare would be a good idea. Sometimes inverter go a little crazy and power cycling them will reboot the processor and make it work again. It's a lot easier to power cycle with a breaker as well.