cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Parking brake light and alarm comes on and cameras turn off

ilandgreen
Explorer
Explorer
On my last RV trip, a house battery cable broke and shorted out on the frame causing one of the battery posts to melt away. When it happened the parking brake light and alarm came on, I lost the cameras, when I pulled over the steps wouldn't extend. I was able to disconnect the battery and crawled my fat but back into the RV and was able to find a place to sell me a new battery and cable.

Since that happened, I replaced all the house batteries and cables, but the parking light and alarm still goes off while I am driving, the cameras stop functioning. when I stop the stairs don't extend, the slides or jacks don't function. I am unable to see the voltage of RV batteries or the tank levels.

However, I have found a work around, when the issue starts, I hit the AUX battery boost switch and hold it down while I am driving. after holding it down for a minute everything goes back to normal. If the Generator is on it doesn't seem to happen.

The voltage on the RV batteries seems to be fine. Any thought?
17 REPLIES 17

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
On your BCC's circuit board is an ignition relay that may have become damaged during your battery/cable issue. The contacts may be inconsistent.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Krusty wrote:
Could it be possible that you have 6 volt batteries that were mistakenly reconnected in parallel, rather than in series?

I was thinking the same thing

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Have you checked the alternator output?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ilandgreen
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of chasing all the connections up to where the battery shorted out. one of the cables goes to a 330a fusible link that isn't damaged, but another cable is connected to the same side of the fusible link as the battery terminal that winds it way along the rats nest of wires and cables. I hoping to locate where it terminates. Could the house battery Solenoid Switch be causing the drain? When I toggle the AUX battery boost it connects the RV and house batteries. thus giving enough volage to clear all the issues. If the issue is the house batteries draining, hitting that switch is like charging the house batteries with the alternator when I am driving. The part I don't understand is why those particular systems are on the house batteries.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
FYI "inverter" has become a slang term meaning: inverter OR charger/inverter OR charger OR converter.

And yes a very high amp short like yours has the potential for additional equipment damage.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
Could it be possible that you have 6 volt batteries that were mistakenly reconnected in parallel, rather than in series?
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
ilandgreen wrote:
After holding the battery boost switch, all goes back to normal, sometimes for 5 minutes other times an hour or two. If the generator is on it rarely happens if even at all.

Sure sounds like a discharged house battery while driving. A voltmeter is your friend.

Thinking logically if it was a fuse, the problem wouldn't be intermittent, would it?

No

Could the inverter have been damaged from the short and is causing this?

Doesn't seem to be the charger since the problem doesn't occur with the gen running which would charge the house battery with the charger.

Bob

ilandgreen
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know of a tech in the phoenix area that can assist with this?

ilandgreen
Explorer
Explorer
That is another oddity that happens, the master batter disconnect also loses power to the switch, till I hit the aux battery switch.

ilandgreen
Explorer
Explorer
I checked the battery control Panel and all the fuses are good. Here are some more of the oddities that happen. It only seems to happen while I am driving or the engine is running. I can tun the ignition off, and it restarts without issue. After holding the battery boost switch, all goes back to normal, sometimes for 5 minutes other times an hour or two. If the generator is on it rarely happens if even at all. Thinking logically if it was a fuse, the problem wouldn't be intermittent, would it? Could the inverter have been damaged from the short and is causing this?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Locate your battery control center. Look for fuses/circuit from the batteries.
Don't know where battery control center is? Have helper operate battery disconnect switch, listen for loud click from relay.
You can also download from Fleetwood wiring diagrams.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
ilandgreen wrote:
The voltage on the RV batteries seems to be fine. Any thought?
Buy a voltmeter, learn how to use it and find out what's working and not working. And this information allows others to provide better suggestions.

Bob

ilandgreen
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Fleetwood Expedition 40x

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
enblethen wrote:
Once we know what rig you have, more help.
Sounds without that info, you have blown a main battery fuse.

Yes it does, if everything works on generator or aux boost.
Presume that aux boost connects the house panel to the start battery. Likely bypassing the blown fuse or breaker.
Live short of the +house battery guaranteed blew the fuse or breaker between the battery and the house panel. That would keep 12V loads from working off the house batteries.
Cameras ( plural?) may be wired to the house?
Not sure how that translates to the parking brake light, presuming that is part of the chassis system and not the house?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold