cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

COMBUSTION SMELL FRO HOT WATER TANK

bullyus
Explorer
Explorer
The hot water tank will really smell of combustion at times. If the door to the trailer is open it will even come in the trailer. Also the outer cover seems to be hotter than usual.This seems to be a new issue. Noticed it once last year and twice this year. The flame is a very nice blue and nothing appears to be plugged. It allways lights and is very quiet. Any Ideas?........... Bullyus
2003 KOMFORT 25TQSG TRAILER
2000 GMC 2500 6.0 liter 4:10 axles
PRODIGY
1 WIFE
1 SMALL DOG
7 REPLIES 7

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gjac wrote:
If you have never cleaned the flue I would do that first.

By ALL means!
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Delete Dup post

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you have never cleaned the flue I would do that first. You will have to remove the burner tube and the exit vents to run a bottle brush or a coat hanger and rag through the flue. Spiders and other bugs can build nests in there and that can burn causing the smell. I blow mine out every year in the spring with compressed air and always see debris that comes out. As others have said it could be incomplete combustion and if you play withe the slider that adjusts the air to propane until you hear a slight roaring sound and all the yellow goes out of the flame, that may help also.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
It sure sounds to me like something in the burner assembly or flue needs adjusting or cleaning. Even though the flame looks OK, I'd give it a decent going over.

(Running on electric isn't at all a viable option for a good many RVers who, like me, have gas only water heaters!)

Moved from Forum Technical Support

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
My hot water heater is right outside my kitchen sink where there is a window. If I have the window open and turn the hot water heater on the exhaust smell comes right in. I now make sure that window is closed when I turn the hot water heater on. And yes I only turn it on when I need it.

The wind does also have an affect on how much comes in too. Could be why you sometimes smell and sometimes not.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Try it on electric no fumes.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu