cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Connecting a battery tender

LifelongDream
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a Deltran Battery Tender Plus (1.25A) to connect to my deep cycle TT battery (which is disconnected from the TT). The instructions tell me to "attach at least a 24-inch-long 6-guage (AWG) insulated battery cable to Negative battery post." What does this mean? Do I need a separate cable (presumably to ground the battery since it is disconnected from the TT) before I connect the tender's positive cable to the battery? If so, is this something I can walk into an auto parts store and ask for? Also, what am I supposed to connect the other end to? Thanks in advance for your help!
7 REPLIES 7

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
point being ???
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Today's Beetle Baily cartoon may be of interest to readers of this thread.
(Today is Dec 23, 2013 and I get my cartonos via ArcaMax for the most part)

Beetle and Sarge are looking at a bomb sitting on it's cradle waiting to be loaded on a bomber

Before the strip starts they have spotted a small label and Sarge has ask Beetle about it.. Panel one Beetle then reads the sticker:

"This bomb may be harmful if exploded"

Sarge says "Well, the army does not want to be sued".

Poster's comment: Exploded bombs are rarely harmfull. EXPLODING bombs however are VERY harmful.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
Something new !!!! Safety safety safety. I'm so tired of being saved from myself !
X2

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Something new !!!! Safety safety safety. I'm so tired of being saved from myself !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

CaptPicky
Explorer
Explorer
Your suppose to read the instructions??
Retired Firefighter, Inspector, Investigator
2006 Cedar Creek Silverback 5th wheel
2002 F-350 Crew Cab DRW 7.3 Powerstroke
3 kids
2 dogs
1 wife

Kenneth_Neal
Explorer
Explorer
I just ignore the advice about the 6 gauge cable, but the battery should be in a well ventilated space. They're concerned about hydrogen gas being ignited by a spark.

agwill
Explorer
Explorer
It is a case of CYA in case of sparks when connecting to battery if it was in a vehicle. Just hook it up it will be ok.
al