cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Converter charger or inverter charger ?

nitrofish61
Explorer
Explorer
Batteries not getting enough charge from oem converter charger. Will be looking into a inverter soon. So what would be the best setup, replacing converter charger or getting a inverter charger ?
12 REPLIES 12

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Charging from Magnum is power factor corrected. You can charge at 125 amps @ 12 volts on a 15 amp shore power supply.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

nitrofish61
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. I figured that it's close in price. Most good chargers are running about $200 and that seemed to be how much more a inverter charger would be than a inverter by itself. Efficiency was kinda what I was looking for.

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Install the INVERTER/CHARGER, Disconnect the Charger of the Converter. Then you have a back up if the Inverter/Charger ever fails. Doug

X2
As long as the inverter you buy can produce the proper charging profile...

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Install the INVERTER/CHARGER, Disconnect the Charger of the Converter. Then you have a back up if the Inverter/Charger ever fails. Doug

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I prefer separate components. If something fails it is easier to bypass or replace on the fly. Remaining items still work until repair can be made. Usually lower cost to replace just what has failed.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Fubeca wrote:
Either will work. The easiest (and most expensive) would be the inverter/charger. It will be easier to run and manage if the charging profile matches your batteries. It will have an integrated transfer switch and once installed, it should be seamless.

Not all inverters have built in chargers OR automatic transfer switch. Yes, good one do !

nitrofish61
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. I figured that it's close in price. Most good chargers are running about $200 and that seemed to be how much more a inverter charger would be than a inverter by itself. Efficiency was kinda what I was looking for.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:
A converter and charger are one in the same.

Technically no, but that is how they are typically packaged and sold. (Yes, I am picking a nit)

The "converter" converters 120VAC to 12VDC (nominal). A charger obviously charges your house batteries from 120VAC. Many converter-chargers are sold with 12VDC distribution panels (fuse/breaker panel) built in.

One brand that is highly recommend is Progressive Dynamics. They sell both converter-chargers and coberter-charger-distribution panels.

An inverter (which may or may not have a built in charger) "inverts" 12VDC to 120VAC (nominal).

I am sure there is a company that makes "one box" that has all of the above in it.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome to the forum. Either method would work, we upgraded our stock converter into a smart converter and the process was plug and play easy. Contact Randy at BestConverter.com with your brand/model for solid advice for your current battery charging requirements.

Fubeca
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion it depends on your desire to tinker and whether you are installing yourself.

Either will work. The easiest (and most expensive) would be the inverter/charger. It will be easier to run and manage if the charging profile matches your batteries. It will have an integrated transfer switch and once installed, it should be seamless.

You can build your own with separate inverter and charger and maybe transfer switch depending on what you want for less money (likely) but more effort in choosing all of the parts and having them installed.

If you are looking for a whole-house inverter (and money isn't a big part of the picture) the inverter/charger would be my choice. If you just need the inverter for specific items and your are on a budget a separate charger and inverter would be my choice.

nitrofish61
Explorer
Explorer
I'm needing a better battery charger than what came with my 5th wheel, but also planned on installing a 2000 watt inverter. Question is, would I be better replacing the old converter charger with a 4 stage charging system or get a inverter charger instead of just a inverter ?

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
A converter and charger are one in the same.
So an inverter charger would be the one if you are thinking of adding an inverter or replacing your existing inverter.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter