cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

converter output to panel (no diode), danger?

red31
Explorer
Explorer
No charge controller or panel blocking diode.

Any issue connecting panel and converter output to the same lugs of a battery meter? the other lugs go to the battery, 20A converter.

ie, the panel is on occasion getting reverse power from the converter, danger?
4 REPLIES 4

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Euro Terminal Pair he mentioned is what we old timers call a "Terminal Block" will try to find a photo of one for you.

A very nice 2 contact spring loaded and red/black type of connector that makes it easy to replace th...

A 7 Pole Euro connector

now the one for sixty 3 cents is kind of low current for your needs but you can see what they look like,, The diode goes in one side, under two screws and the wires from teh panel and battery go to the other side of the same strips.. Remember the Arrow on the diode (if there is one) points toward the more NEGATIVE (Battery) lead.

Lots of goodies at that company, but ... Well, Quality and price vary from Fantastic to not so good.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

red31
Explorer
Explorer
patfraley

You have a charge controller so that solves that, in your post at PUP, you said you connected the panel directly to the battery and I thought that you did not have a controller, my bad!!

patfraley
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to do the above. Can you be more specific regarding how to connect diode. I assume you mean to the monitor terminals

pardon my lack of knowledge. I'm handy, just not an electrician

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Is the word you are looking for "Back Feed"?

Some panels have built-in diodes. Others don't. If you go the diode route,I recommend a type of diode called a SHOTTKY. Found online in eBay. For simple panel block I choose diodes rated at twice or three times the amperage maximum of the panel.

Danger is perhaps, an inappropiate label. Losing a considerable amount of a day's solar charge back through the panel at night perhaps should be labled a penalty. Unacceptable. A diode is a diode. Don't waste money on a huckster's special "Solar Panel Diode", A solderless way of connecting a diode is to use a EUROTERMINAL pair. Bend and cut the diode leads then clamp them to terminals with a small screwdriver. Connect the panel positive to the two terminals on the other side. Verify you have the wires connected the right way using a meter.
This is not a very technical operation. Anyone can do it.