cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

converter problem?

S_Bubba
Explorer
Explorer
So I think I have a problem with my converter / battery system. The short story is that it says my batteries are dead when they are not. Batteries have over 12.8 volts but my indicator light says they are dead. They will turn on the LED lights but it wonโ€™t turn on the water pump or even run the fridge. I have checked the fuses and the breakers, but I donโ€™t think that is the issue because the lights still work. As far as I can tell it charges the batteries. Iโ€™ve flipped the breakers and pulled the 40 amp fuses, which test out good. What else can I do before I take it in?
6 REPLIES 6

S_Bubba
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, for reference it is a 2015 Forest River Wildwood x-lite

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
newman fulltimer wrote:
check your grounds

99% of electrical problems are caused by bad grounds! ๐Ÿ™‚

What kind of RV? TTs have THE worst grounding I've ever seen because for one thing, the connection is directly exposed to the elements (including road salt if delivered to dealer in the winter). Check the ground lug on the frame near the battery. There should be another one on the frame somewhere closer to the converter/panel. I'm about to replace the latter on our TT because it's a corroded mess and the grounding is acting kinda weird. Check positive connections at battery and converter. The ring terminal next to our battery wasn't done right and the wire actually slipped out of it when I went to replace the corroded circuit breaker.

Otherwise, need to check the voltage right at the battery to know for sure. If voltage is good at the battery(s) and is getting charged okay, then stop using the monitor panel to check the battery... Some install a permanent 12VDC LED display - can be bought cheap on the internet.

Having said that, perhaps the converter isn't working right? Our WFCO converter died in it's 3rd season last summer while out on a long trip. The battery also died at the same time and a test at a shop showed it had a dead cell. The battery never seemed to hold a charge as long as it should from new but it worked well enough to get the tongue jack down before I plugged into shore power.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I lost my water pump and water heater controls but everything else worked. No blown fuses and the converter was 13.2V. I pulled the control panel and found a 12V feed wire pulled out of a crimp connector.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

S_Bubba
Explorer
Explorer
There is some corrosion on my positive, but it still charges so I don't think it is that. I'll check the ground again, but I already looked at it and it seemed fine.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
check your grounds

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Slow down and THIMK...:)

You checked the voltage at the batteries, right - with a meter?

The panel is not located at the batteries.

So something in-between is playing the part of the villain.

Are you capable of cleaning all cable connections that connect to the battery?

Are you capable of cleaning the negative ground cable where is attaches to the rig's frame?

Look at the wire terminals on the battery very carefully. Is there green powder on the terminals or the copper wire strands within?