cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Converting 30 Amp Ext. Cord To Hook To 50 Amp TT

mailman-ret
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago, I replaced the female end of a 30 amp extension cord to one that hooked to a 30 amp outside screw on hook-up. We have visited CGs where passers by have gotten attached to other campers power cords. With a hidden extra cable I felt certain I could sleep with A/C with my health problems.

We just purchased a 2017 TT with a 50 amp hookup, so I will replace the old add-on with a 50 amp add-on connection so I can still sleep in the cool.

The DENALI has one 15,000 BTU A/C and front vent hole is wired for a second. With the all weather thermal package that it has, we will not add the second A/C.

Currently, I am hooked to a 30 amp box, using an adapter to hook to my 50 amp system. Once I get my conversion parts here, I will get out the ohms meter and starting at the 30 amp male plug, I will check to see what leads correspond to the terminals on the plug-in terminals, then hook the wires where indicated. I can't forsee any use for that additional wire. Could I be looking at that wrong?
Don & Deb: US Army CW2(R), DECA AstMgr(R) USPS Letr Carrier(R)
2016 Ford F250 Lariat Supercrewcab 6.2Ltr V8 4X4
2017 Dutchman DENALI 289RK
Ford in dash MTD Prodigy Type Brake Control
Hensley Arrow Anti-Sway Device
24 REPLIES 24

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
mailman-ret wrote:

Currently, I am hooked to a 30 amp box, using an adapter to hook to my 50 amp system. Once I get my conversion parts here, I will get out the ohms meter and starting at the 30 amp male plug, I will check to see what leads correspond to the terminals on the plug-in terminals, then hook the wires where indicated. I can't forsee any use for that additional wire. Could I be looking at that wrong?

Your 30 amp cord has 3 wires, black (hot), white (neutral), and green (ground). The 50 amp Marinco style connector that fits your TT has 4 connections, 2 hots, 1 neutral, and 1 ground. Connect the 30 amp cord's ground and neutral wires to their respective terminals, and the hot wire to one of the 2 hot terminals with a jumper to the second hot terminal. Now you have the very long 30/50 amp spare cord/adapter you want.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
What is "hidden extra cable"?

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
My read of the OP is that "time2roll" has it right, and what the OP wants is basically a long 30 amp/50 amp dogbone adapter with the appropriate 50 amp Marinco style connector for his TT, mainly for use as an emergency spare in case his primary 50 amp cord is stolen. Kent and time2roll also have the connections right, in that the single 30 amp hot leg would connect to both of the 50 amp Marinco's hot terminals. The cord would be connected to the TT and plugged into the 30 amp park power outlet.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would continue to use the adapter.

IF YOU DO decide to add a 2nd A/C (And I think you should) find the wire that feeds that hole and un-hook it from the breaker box, Reolace with eithe 10 or 12ga to a 20 amp 120 volt outlet in a exterior bay.

Make a cord, 10 or 12 ga with a 15 or 20 amp plug on the male end and a 15/20 amp female end

Extend the existing A/C line to that same bay with a 20 amp plug (The neutral blade is turned 90 degrees on 20 amp plugs)

Now you can plug into 50 amps on an RV site, plug the A/C into the Outlet and it is "Factory" electrically.

ON a 30 amp site you pull the plug and use the Heavy extension cord to the 20 amp outlet in the park box (15/20 amp outlet)

With the mythical Global Warming as the world gets hotter you are gonna want another 15,000 BTUS' of cool.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
mailman-ret wrote:
Several years ago, I replaced the female end of a 30 amp extension cord to one that hooked to a 30 amp outside screw on hook-up. We have visited CGs where passers by have gotten attached to other campers power cords. With a hidden extra cable I felt certain I could sleep with A/C with my health problems.

We just purchased a 2017 TT with a 50 amp hookup, so I will replace the old add-on with a 50 amp add-on connection so I can still sleep in the cool.

The DENALI has one 15,000 BTU A/C and front vent hole is wired for a second. With the all weather thermal package that it has, we will not add the second A/C.

Yes you are looking at it wrong. See Mr. Wizard's post
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
As Mr Wizard said, if it is your desire to use your 30 amp extension cord when you need a longer run to a 50 amp circuit, you will not be able to do this. The wires in the extension cord are too small and you will be 1 wire short. When you plug into 50 amp with the cord that came with the RV you will have all the power you need so there would be no need for a 2nd electrical run to the RV so if you are trying to do something else with that extension cord, please let us know. If you need a 50 amp extension cord I highly recommend you buy a 50 amp extension cord.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
just buy the appropriate dog bone and be done with it.
bumpy

MrWizard
ok.. i am NOT clearly understanding your intention

you can NOT tun a 30 amp cord into a 50 amp cord
a 50 amp cord has 4 wires that are a larger gauge wire
and the 30 amp only has 3 wires, all your doing is creating a long 30amp dogbone adapter

if you need a longer 50 amp extension you will have too buy one

if you want to use the 30amp ext to plug the 50amp rv into a 30 amp socket
just use the 30 male to 50 female dogbone
and put it between the 30amp cord and the new 50 amp RV cord
like you are now

the 30 amp dog bone takes (1) hot leg and connects it to the (2) in your 50 amp cord

but you Can NOT take (2) 50amp legs and connect them to (1) 30 amp rated wire in your 30amp cord with a 50amp male on the end of a (3) wire 30amp cord

if your not lucky, you could end up with a 100 amp dead short when you tried to plug that in
its against code and extremely dangerous
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes... connect ground to ground, neutral to neutral, 30 amp hot to both 50 amp hots.
Standard adapter does the same. Cord is just a long dog-bone adapter.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
That additional wire powers half of your RV. So if you connect L1 and L2 together your plan should work.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.