Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

converting ducted AC unit to non-ducted

secretcheese300
Explorer
Explorer
Hello!

We were just given an almost-new Atwood ducted rooftop unit without a ceiling kit. We live in a non-ducted rig. Mr. Google says there's a way to convert, but the instructions are flimsy. Is this possible?

I'll also need to order a non-ducted ceiling kit, but I'm not sure how to choose--do I just get the one with the most similar serial number?

Thanks!
Cheese
6 REPLIES 6

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
SoundGuy wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Roof TOP units are all the same. Ducted or Non Ducted. What you need is a Non Ducted inside control/plenum mount kit.

According to the link I posted earlier ...

Rooftop Air Conditioner for Recreational Vehicles
Ducted Models
AC-1361 & AC-1511

Non-Ducted Models
AC-1351 & AC-1501

16K & 18K equivalent BTU units would suggest different top units.

I am NOT an expert on Atwood AC units as they have probably less than 5 percent of the total RV AC market. I have only seen a few and never worked on one as they have no market share. I have been to their website numerous times over the past few years and nothing on their install or Website states they have seperate models for Ducted or Non-Ducted. After 37 years as an RV tech, I have NEVER seen a AC maker(and there have been a few, now out of business), make a TOP unit different from all other of their models. There is NOTHING different in the TOP main guts and design that would require a specific model for ducted or Non-Ducted. It is the MOUNT and its design and controls, which are ALWAYS sold separately that determine how (ducted or NON) the RV'er or OEM wants to do. I believe their 16k and 18k claims (bogus really) are for the NON-Ducted model. Non ducted you can move more volume of air to get that claim. Notice they state (16kand 18k equivalent) performance. Doug

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Roof TOP units are all the same. Ducted or Non Ducted. What you need is a Non Ducted inside control/plenum mount kit.

According to the link I posted earlier ...

Ducted Models
AC-1361 & AC-1511

Non-Ducted Models
AC-1351 & AC-1501

16K & 18K equivalent BTU units would suggest different top units.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

secretcheese300
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you!

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Roof TOP units are all the same. Ducted or Non Ducted. What you need is a Non Ducted inside control/plenum mount kit. Doug

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously you'll need to identify just which model you have but once you have that info you can phone or email Atwood via this link, as well as download technical info about how to properly install one of these units.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Call or email Atwood, tell them what you have and what you want to do. They should be able to tell you if it's possible and what you need.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP