cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sticky Dump Valve

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
I put a safety dump valve on my discharge pipe. It is difficult to open and close. I took it apart, cleaned it and reassembled it with no improvement. Any suggestions? Could I put some petroleum jelly on the seals without damaging them? Thanks for any help.
13 REPLIES 13

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
we always put a few drops of Dawn soap in th toilet and that helps everything.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a thread I put together long ago when I had that problem.

Clicky

Be careful what you use to clean the toilet. I was using PinSol which worked great and left a clean smell. Well it also was dissolving the grease on the slide blade making it harder to pull each time. Lesson learnt.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
petroleum jelly will attract and hold dirt. That is why they were recommending using the silicone spray.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Kountryguy wrote:
Yes, it is the add-on Valtera valve. I will try all of your suggestions. In lieu of silicone grease I used petroleum jelly and it helped, not sure how long it will last.

I have used the silicone spray and it lasts about a year, maybe less. Spray it on and work the valve a few times until it loosens up. I do it at least once every spring. Works well.

My tank valves are way up inside the enclosed tank compartment to protect from freezing. To overcome this, I use a piece of 3/8 plastic tubing, spray in the silicone, then blast up the tube with compressed air to get to the valve.

I would caution the use of petroleum jelly, it may or may not be a problem. If the seals are made from a rubber type that petroleum products affects them, turns rubber gummy etc. that is the concern. With the silicone, it will not affect rubber or many other elastomers.

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it is the add-on Valtera valve. I will try all of your suggestions. In lieu of silicone grease I used petroleum jelly and it helped, not sure how long it will last.

pawpaw47
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar issue on the grey tank valve. I removed the valve & seals, cleaned them and reinstalled them......problem fixed. There was no apparent "gunk" anywhere that would have caused the problem. The only thing I can figure is that when the valve was installed at the factory, the 4 bolts were not tightened to the same level and the valve was binding. When I reinstalled it, I tightened the bolts slowly checking the operation as I proceeded. I also tightened them in a crossing pattern like you would do on a wheel - tighten one then do the one that is directly opposite it.
Hope this helps!
Merry Christmas and Happy New year to all!
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2015 Starcraft AR-One 18QB
2014 GMC w/6.2L & max tow pkge.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Kountryguy wrote:
I put a safety dump valve on my discharge pipe. It is difficult to open and close. I took it apart, cleaned it and reassembled it with no improvement. Any suggestions? Could I put some petroleum jelly on the seals without damaging them? Thanks for any help.

"Safety dump valve" ?

Do you mean the add-on Valtera type which is added-on (twist on, twist off) at the end of the discharge pipe.......or

Added a secondary dump valve in-line?

Lastly - do you open and close it directly at the valve.....or
is it via a cable with a remote handle? (Check cable!)

"Direct" pull type - besides the other suggestions - try some silicone lubricant on the *shaft* which attaches to the handle and the valve.

Usually there is no reason to disassemble the add-on type, never had
one of those "bind".

~

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks rv2go, I tried that and not much help. I will try the other suggestion and see what happens.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Some valves are just plain impossible, short of replacing the whole valve.
Others never give any trouble for yrs.
I know better than to change just the seals, that has never worked for me.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
My black tank valve always was harder to open and close than the grey. I replaced both about 8 years ago and added a grease fitting on the top of both valves and pump in a few shots of grease whenever the valve gets hard to open. The grey valve rarely needed it always the black.

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
The Silicone grease is the ticket. Smear it on the deals, blade, and shaft.
I use this one: MPT19 Silicone/PTFE High-Performance Lubricant
I put it on over two years ago and the valves are still working smoothly.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
You might have tighten the two halves too tight against the seals. Try loosing the 4 bolts a little and see if that helps.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kountryguy wrote:

I'd try a little silicone grease.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper