Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

directv

msmorto
Explorer
Explorer
Hi:
I bough a 18” directv satellite dish with a d12-100 receiver from a fellow camper who does not use it enymore, he said that it is working great.
When I try to set it up at home I could not get it to work, I m getting transponders signal in the 70’s , all my set up is correct but I still don’t get any pictures . I call direct tv and they told me that my d12-100 receiver will not work, that I need to get a NEW box from a dealer not from a friend? Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank You

Mario
11 REPLIES 11

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Come to remember now, my D12-100 receiver is connected to an oval dish w/ a double feed. It switches between 2 different satelites. The 2nd sat is needed here for the local channels. When I move the receiver to the MH, the single feed Kingdome toggles between the 2 sats. So the D12 receiver will work on a single feed round dish, or an oval 2 feed dish.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
msmorto wrote:
I have contacted Directv tonight and they activated the receiver and the card I will check it out tomorrow when i go to the MH. Thank's

Great news. You don't say what kind of dish you have on the motor home. That's important it doing your alignment. Go to this site, http://www.dishpointer.com/ , enter your location and choose DirecTV 101W satellite. Use the elevation, the angle for your dish, and the azimuth, the direction to point. Once your close you can fine tune to get a better signal. If you have an automatic pointing dish, disregard all of this. Chuck

msmorto
Explorer
Explorer
I have contacted Directv tonight and they activated the receiver and the card I will check it out tomorrow when i go to the MH. Thank's

msmorto
Explorer
Explorer
Thank's for all your answers I will check everything again tomorrow

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can receive channel 100 without a current card. Use the internal signal meter to peak the signal. Are you getting a signal on all the transponders ? If not you are on the wrong Sat.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
DirecTV should have told you this, but the receiver needs to be added to your account. You have to own it. If your friend was leasing it, DTV won't transfer it. When you add it to your account, they will send you an access card. Once you get the access card you call them to activate it.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dierec TV has like 3 different antennas depending on the receiver you have. What works in your house might not work in the Motor home.. As I recall the D-12 uses an 18" round dish (NOTE> VERY GOOD CHANCE I AM MISTAKEN)

If so it will not like a modern SWM antenna. Sorry.. Best answer I can give.

The information will be in ye old downloadable owner's manual if you choose to download and read it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there an access card in it? You need that. My guess is no. Even sans card you should see channel 100.

If you're going by transponder numbers it sounds like you're not using the beeps to align it. Are you?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
Yep,your problem is dish pointing. If you get 70 on some transponder, your probably getting less on others. Not familiar with that receiver, but most all I have used will give you a signal strength to be able to adjust the dish for a stronger signal. How are you activating the receiver without a DirecTV account for that receiver and access card? Chuck

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
A D12 should work with an 18" round dish.

Signals in the 70s is a little low. Double check your setup - 18" round, non-SWM. Make sure you are using a good quality RG-6 coax. Are you using a satellite signal finder (could be the wrong satellite) or using the built in signal meter in the receiver to peak the az/el?

Also, is the receiver authorized? (current subscription)
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
The D12-100 receiver sure works fine here. Are you using the audio beep beep signal meter to find the correct satellites ? Nothing could work any better.
The beeper speeds up when it finds the correct sats.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.