cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Disconnecting Battery When Plugged in for long periods

Duramax1
Explorer
Explorer
When staying plugged in at RV parks in desert warm temperatures for prolonged periods of time I usually disconnect the battery as I don't like to see it being charged at 13.50 volts or so for long periods of time during intense heat.

The 12 volt system components continue to receive their dc energy requirements from the converter.

Is there any problem with the habit I have developed?
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD DA LTZ
2009 Sundance 2900MK
26 REPLIES 26

gdstidham
Explorer
Explorer
I had a WFCO 8955 converter in my 2004 Outback fiver. My batteries were just 2 years old. Two 12v deep cycle marine batteries. The converter boiled them. It wouldn't go into the absorb stage. Replaced it with a PD 4655. The swap took all of an hour. Put 2. 6v golf cart batteries in. All seems well, goes through all 4 stages on its on. No over heating of wires and fans haven't come on yet.

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
smkettner wrote:
dalenoel wrote:
Not being that familiar with the converters - What unit would you recommend to replace this one with. Don't want a boiled unit.

Emailed Randy and ended up ordering the PD4645V which shipped today. I'll not plug in until it is installed. Don't need to ruin the battery I just installed.

Next project is the new toilet as the old one we don't want to get near.

Thanks for the help and direction
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you have a modern 3 stage converter by all means do keep it plugged in.

However 13.5 volts is a bit on the high side--so I'd consider doing 24 hours on and 24 hours off.

A better solution may be to monitor the battery voltage and turn it on if it gets below 12.6.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I do exactly the same as the OP

Check the voltage of the battery when you return. If it drops to 12.5 then reconsider your charge regimen. Otherwise - have a nice day ๐Ÿ™‚

westend
Explorer
Explorer
For historical converter information:

My Progressive Dynamics PD-808 deck mount converter, circa 1970, floats at 13.4V ->13.5 V. It has an accessory adder circuit board to enable it to have two stage battery charger function. This was an option that PD developed to make the converter something other than a power supply. The literature of the day suggests that even having a power supply was a luxury at that time. Having an effective battery charging circuit was an even newer development.

What's really cool about this PD-808 is that it works flawlessly. There is not a flicker or deviation in voltage that I could detect. That most likely is because of the large transformer and discrete rectifier section with big heat sink.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Converters come long way in last 20 years, so check what you have.
13.5V is perfect battery maintaining voltage, so if you have converter that floats that voltage it is perfect to have it plug year around.
Older and/or cheaper converters don't have floating circuit and will go to 14V and above and that is when disconnecting the batteries on long term is advised.
Very old converters were supplying 12 V AC current for the coach with only small DC circuit for charging and radio. Beware of that if you have older RV.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I did as RoyB suggests in the first post following yours. I used the PD9260.

I use a Battery Minder for long term storage.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mont G&J wrote:
Chandalen wrote:
You should always leave the battery connected when your using the camper / plugged in.

The battery serves as a ballast for the converter. Like a voltage regulator it helps limit the converters output to 13-ish volts. Without the battery you are tempting fate with voltages over 15v and most 12v items allow for 10.5- 15.0 operation.

Agree. The converter depends upon the battery as an integral component of the designed circuit to filter the ripple DC output of the converter. That's a fact.

This is very much true for some converters, and not true for others. Most modern converters that are based on switching power supplies will happily and properly run without a battery connected. Many older resonant converters will not operate acceptably. The literature for the converter should give the details.

In the case of an unknown converter, the safest option is of course to not run it without a battery.

Mont_G_J
Explorer
Explorer
Chandalen wrote:
You should always leave the battery connected when your using the camper / plugged in.

The battery serves as a ballast for the converter. Like a voltage regulator it helps limit the converters output to 13-ish volts. Without the battery you are tempting fate with voltages over 15v and most 12v items allow for 10.5- 15.0 operation.

Agree. The converter depends upon the battery as an integral component of the designed circuit to filter the ripple DC output of the converter. That's a fact.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
dalenoel wrote:
Not being that familiar with the converters - What unit would you recommend to replace this one with. Don't want a boiled unit.

red31
Explorer
Explorer
no problem with your habit, italicized or not.

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
A lot depends on your converter.. Magnetek 6300 by all means unplug

Progressive Dynamics wizard controlled models... I never disconnect.

I just brought home a 1989 Coachman Van Conversion that has this converter. Actually Series 6300A options CNI

My other unit is an 08 Jayco Eagle that I never unplug and have never had a problem

Thanks
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Chandalen wrote:

Well always covers a LOT of ground.....so that is not right.

IF the time period is really long, as in 6 months or more, AND your converter doesn't drop to a real float voltage....then you should not leave the camper connected OR the battery either.

And automotive equipment is supposed to be designed to withstand 16.0 volts at the upper end.

Aside from those two things, you make a good point. :B
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Chandalen
Explorer
Explorer

'08 Sierra 5th wheel bunk house
'04 F350 6.0L (bulletproofish now)
470ah GC2 battery bank, 500w Solar /w TS-45 Controller, 2k Pure Sine Inverter
Active Duty Army