cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you think a front cargo rack is too dangerous?

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a basket type one on my van for a while, but it has seen very, very little freeway speed driving. Mostly slow roads.

An engineer friend saw it yesterday and said he thought it was extremely dangerous, because at freeway speed it could potentially set up a wobble, twist itself off, and end up underneath the front of the van. And, as he pointed out, that would be much worse than a rear rack coming off and dragging.

Well, I found this image terrifying. But then I thought I should consult you all :-).

(My rack plus contents ways maybe a hundred pounds, but one of the problems he pointed out is that the weight is necessarily evenly distributed. It's not possible to consolidate it in the center. This was why he was concerned about wobble at speed.)
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
45 REPLIES 45

JTLance
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m not running people off, I made a fair statement that illicitted a โ€œtriggeredโ€ accidental response. Its not like weโ€™re talking politics. ??

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Naio,

As another engineer, I can tell you why he was concerned. We are educated to always envision a worst case. Let me tell you, with the geniuses that are out there, this is not a bad assumption.

The fact is that unless you load that front box with bowling balls, it will not be all that heavy, and I bet you have had it over a scale too. Locking in to the frame like NRALIFR is also a very good idea as that will prevent it from initiating and unstable situation.

Thinking can prevent many problems.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Immediately I was negative. Then, after thinking about it, I asked myself, what if it was my problem? I don't know.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
JTLance wrote:
NRALIFR wrote:
JTLance wrote:
Listen, Iโ€™m not a kid. Itโ€™s just what I think while living in a VERY high traffic RV town. These goody setups are causing more issues than you think. Itโ€™s starting to look more and more like the Beverly Hillbillyโ€™s with all the ridiculous garbage hanging around (front and back) of the pickups and 1960โ€™s piece of crappola. Iโ€™ve seen broken metal- like carriages that had plastic gas cans and broken generators on the freeway. Iโ€™ve seen accidents with the same carnage in the front of peopleโ€™s trucks from not allowing for larger stopping distances required. Iโ€™ve watched people walk into the stuff in parking lots.

Guys, if the truck didnโ€™t come with forward tow hitches, get a **** trailer!

I donโ€™t want a trailer, OK? Iโ€™m not a kid either, and the last time I checked, I get to decide what I do within the law. I donโ€™t care what they look like to you, or what accidents youโ€™ve seen. They werenโ€™t caused by me, and the people on this forum arenโ€™t causing the problems in your town. They arenโ€™t illegal, so you and your demands can go pound sand.

BTW, I hate towable RVโ€™s. If you need to drag around that much living space, stay home! I can play that cranky, stubborn old fart game too, buddy.

:):)

Im not your Buddy, you are a cranky old guy and I hope they change the law so people like you have to use a trailer like normal people. Until then, happy camping. Iโ€™m sure your wife loves you.
Another example of the type members that run folks away from this site.
No need for replys like this.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

JTLance
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
JTLance wrote:
Listen, Iโ€™m not a kid. Itโ€™s just what I think while living in a VERY high traffic RV town. These goody setups are causing more issues than you think. Itโ€™s starting to look more and more like the Beverly Hillbillyโ€™s with all the ridiculous garbage hanging around (front and back) of the pickups and 1960โ€™s piece of crappola. Iโ€™ve seen broken metal- like carriages that had plastic gas cans and broken generators on the freeway. Iโ€™ve seen accidents with the same carnage in the front of peopleโ€™s trucks from not allowing for larger stopping distances required. Iโ€™ve watched people walk into the stuff in parking lots.

I donโ€™t want a trailer, OK? Iโ€™m not a kid either, and the last time I checked, I get to decide what I do within the law. I donโ€™t care what they look like to you, or what accidents youโ€™ve seen. They werenโ€™t caused by me, and the people on this forum arenโ€™t causing the problems in your town. They arenโ€™t illegal, so you and your demands can go pound sand.

BTW, I hate towable RVโ€™s. If you need to drag around that much living space, stay home! I can play that cranky, stubborn old fart game too, buddy.

Im not your Buddy, you are a cranky old guy and I hope they change the law so people like you have to use a trailer like normal people. Until then, happy camping. Iโ€™m sure your wife loves you.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Properly attached I say it is fine. However I would not be real excited if you were carrying gasoline or propane.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
JTLance wrote:

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Naio wrote:
You guys are just trying to stir up trouble.

The reason he felt that a failure would be safer on the rear rather than the front was that I can quickly pull over and deal with it if it's on the rear. On the front, it might wedge under the van and cause a rollover.

I don't normally drive on roads where there is a lot of traffic, so a rear rack wedging under a car that is following me closely is a much less likely scenario.

I think you see my point. A takeoff of personal responsibility. If snot falls off your vehicle, and I have a choice; 20% it hurts me vs 100% you hit it, I want your family to be the ones scrambled.
If my stuff is secure why should I be at risk?
Also there is the fact that any vehicle, especially one towing a trailer the front axle is the least likely to be overloaded.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I love this turnbuckle idea!

To answer pianotuna's question, I have it on a front hitch from etrailer, single receiver.

NRALIFR wrote:
Several of us carry gear safely in racks, toolboxes, trays, etc hanging on a front hitch. I carry this box on the front of my truck on a carrier that I fabricated.

I donโ€™t particularly like the concept of only using the hitch for support and stability because the box did wobble a bit.

Instead of trying to scare you with tales of how your front carrier is going to kill you, maybe your engineer friend could help you fabricate some stabilizers like these. They run between the rear corners of the box and the tow hooks on the front of the truck.

Once the turnbuckles are tightened up, the box is rock solid.

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
You guys are just trying to stir up trouble.

The reason he felt that a failure would be safer on the rear rather than the front was that I can quickly pull over and deal with it if it's on the rear. On the front, it might wedge under the van and cause a rollover.

I don't normally drive on roads where there is a lot of traffic, so a rear rack wedging under a car that is following me closely is a much less likely scenario.

JTLance
Explorer
Explorer

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chum lee wrote:

So it would be OK if the rack (or it's contents) fell off the back and ended up under someone else's vehicle? As long as you don't know about it, . . . . no problem? Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm. At least if it's on the front of your vehicle, you can keep an eye on it.

Chum lee

Thank you.Everybody wants to witch about the "Me, me, it's all about me generation.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
"An engineer friend saw it yesterday and said he thought it was extremely dangerous, because at freeway speed it could potentially set up a wobble, twist itself off, and end up underneath the front of the van. And, as he pointed out, that would be much worse than a rear rack coming off and dragging."

So it would be OK if the rack (or it's contents) fell off the back and ended up under someone else's vehicle? As long as you don't know about it, . . . . no problem? Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm. At least if it's on the front of your vehicle, you can keep an eye on it.

Chum lee

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Naio wrote:
Where/how would I find an expert to check it out? I like that idea, but I don't have any idea who to consult.

I don't have a lot of weight on the rack. Less than 100 pounds, and it is rated for 500.

The roof is not an option for me; I can't be climbing that ladder all the time.

If it's rated for 500 and installed correctly, it has been reviewed.

Unless the weight is distributed in an unusual way, it shouldn't be an issue.

That said, a dual receiver or otherwise stabilized system is much better.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
JTLance wrote:
I always thought it looked silly and wasn't safe, regardless.

Geeze, If you need all that garbage, buy a trailer.

Where is the safety issue compared to the same stuff on a wheel-less trailer on the back?