cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic 4 door 12cuft fridge not getting below 40 degrees

Leatherneck2093
Explorer
Explorer
We bought very rarely used like new 2019 Grand Design Reflection 28bh. We are on our maiden voyage check out trip. The dometic 4 door 12 cuft fridge, which is in a slide out, is set to 5 and doesnโ€™t want to cool below 40. The freezer stays between 12-17 degrees. I can hear fans on the back of the fridge running from time to time. I don't see the thermistor clip on the inside fins that I can adjust. Daytime temps are running 90-96. We are in a nicely shaded spot so the fridge doesnโ€™t see direct sun.

I have noticed that the cabinet around the fridge is really warm. That tells me that its not insulated and a lot of the heat from the cooling unit coil is filling that void. Is insulating that void around he body of the fridge something that would adversely affect its operation or would that be a good thing to do?

There is a baffle in the top vent that covers 2/3โ€™s of the vent cover. That doesnโ€™t make a lot of since to me either.

I tried searching for this but wasnโ€™t successful.

Any help or direction to a previous thread would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,

Stay safe and enjoy every minute of this short life.

U.S. Marine Corps Vet
2019 Grand Design Reflection 28bh
2018 Ram Tradesman Crew Crab 2500 6.7l Cummins
2019 Honda CRV
Two Lectric XP E-Bikes
20 REPLIES 20

Leatherneck2093
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Temporarily try a battery operated fan in the fresh food compartment. Dry ice too. Then warranty service.

I installed a triple fin fan unit inside now Iโ€™m considering additional valterra fans outside in the top vent.
Regards,

U.S. Marine Corps Vet
2019 Honda CRV
Two Lectric XP E-Bikes

Leatherneck2093
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Does it have difficulty getting to 40F or does it get to 40F no problem but doesn't want to go lower?

40F is generally the recommended fridge temp, so it may be the thermostat limiting is set to 40F.

Of course those are hot conditions and if you are opening the door to check, absorption fridges don't recover as quickly after you let warm air in.

The freezer is a little warmer than the recommended 0F but other than ice cream not being rock hard, shouldn't be a major issue.

It seems to maintain between 39-41 but has run at 34-37. I have a triple fin fan unit in it now. The USDA says 40 is a max temp for safe food storage.

We keep our drinks in a 12v 54qt compressor freezer/fridge and our small fridge in our outdoor kitchen. This limits getting into the big fridge to meal times twice a day.
Regards,

U.S. Marine Corps Vet
2019 Honda CRV
Two Lectric XP E-Bikes

Leatherneck2093
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
There are several threads on this topic over on one of the two Grand Design forums (I forget which one). They specifically mention that baffle. Here are the two forums:

My Grand RV

Grand Design Owners Forum

IIRC, the threads are in the GD Owners forums.

Rob

Thanks a lot.
Regards,

U.S. Marine Corps Vet
2019 Honda CRV
Two Lectric XP E-Bikes

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Does it have difficulty getting to 40F or does it get to 40F no problem but doesn't want to go lower?

40F is generally the recommended fridge temp, so it may be the thermostat limiting is set to 40F.

Of course those are hot conditions and if you are opening the door to check, absorption fridges don't recover as quickly after you let warm air in.

The freezer is a little warmer than the recommended 0F but other than ice cream not being rock hard, shouldn't be a major issue.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are several threads on this topic over on one of the two Grand Design forums (I forget which one). They specifically mention that baffle. Here are the two forums:

My Grand RV

Grand Design Owners Forum

IIRC, the threads are in the GD Owners forums.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Temporarily try a battery operated fan in the fresh food compartment. Dry ice too. Then warranty service.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad