cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic 5 button thermostat

Gau_8
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 5 button thermostat with two penguin hc units. As I understand it, the second unit must have a remote temp sensor installed. If you install a remote sensor for zone 1, does the thermostat automatically detect it and use it instead of the one in the thermostat.

The front unit is short cycling and the rear will not come on at all. It will run the fan in the manual mode.
26 REPLIES 26

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
delete

Gau_8
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
Gau 8 wrote:
There is one but the wiring does not go all the way to the AC. The only thermistor connected to the board is the frz sensor.

I have a new CCC2 and two sensors on the way.

Umm- you do know with the new 12 button control, you must replace the circuit boards in each unit?

On edit (typing at the same time :))- that isn't the first time, nor the last that has happened. Happens from the factory, as well.

It probably did come that way and the technician just wired it the same way it was.

Gau_8
Explorer
Explorer
After properly attaching the remote temp sensor, the rear unit appears to be running well. Funny thing is that the unit ran fine like that for several years.

The front still wants to short cycle. Will wait to see if the front remote sensor that I should receive Monday will cure the problem.

Gau_8
Explorer
Explorer
It is my understanding that the 5 button boards will work with the 12 button. Am I mistaken?

What board goes with the 12 button?

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Gau 8 wrote:
There is one but the wiring does not go all the way to the AC. The only thermistor connected to the board is the frz sensor.

Umm- you do know with the new 12 button control, you must replace the circuit boards in each unit?

On edit (typing at the same time :))- that isn't the first time, nor the last that has happened. Happens from the factory, as well.
-- Chris Bryant

Gau_8
Explorer
Explorer
Update! After further rummaging around, I found the two remote sensor wires for the rear AC. Several years ago, the unit was replaced. The technician hooked the two wires to the furnace input blue wires on the unit.

Nothing surprises me anymore. Now I am going to attach them properly and see what I get.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
delete

Gau_8
Explorer
Explorer

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
I find it hard to believe that there is no sensor for that rear A/C . They are usually located in the Bedroom. Mine looks like a tiny vent ,about the size of half a Walnut!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Gau_8
Explorer
Explorer
That is not my case. It is sealed up well. However, there is no remote temp sensor connected to either ac.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
delete

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding the short cycling A/C. I was experiencing the same issue with my Atwood unit. Come to find out, the sensor was inside the return side of the AC. There was a baffle that was supposed to separate the discharge and return sides. It had come loose, and the cold air was cycling right back into the return side. I put it back in place and used some duct tape to hold it there. Works good as new.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)