cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic AC Motor Replacement

gantman
Explorer
Explorer
I have an older 2000 Rockwood with a Dometic Roof top 57915.622 AC. The Run Capacitor was bad and the motor was going bad, so I got the replacement motor kit, plus a new Run Capacitor and Hard Start Capacitor. The kit includes an "extra' capacitor. I believe it's called the "fan capacitor" that is to be installed in line with the new "run capacitor". According to my research the new "fan cap" is connected to the "run cap" via a jump wire in place of the former motor common or (white) wire. The motor common (white) is also connected to the same terminal of the new "fan cap". The opposite side of the "fan cap" connects to the Brown wire to the motor. Does anyone know if this is on track? Getting a 17 year old motor out was hard enough, I certainly don't want to fry it all during installation!! Any advice, help, material or references would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again.
GM
3 REPLIES 3

Moved from Forum Technical Support

gantman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Chris. Sorry, the "in line" comment was misleading. You are correct they are not in line. I see what you are saying, it appears that the replacement kit now adds a specific "fan capacitor" instead of allowing the compressor run capacitor to do all the work (so to speak, hence the jump wire on the common only.
Thanks again!

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
There should be a run capacitor for the compressor and a run capacitor for the fan, along with an optional start capacitor for the compressor. Sometimes the run capacitors for compressor and fan will be combined into a single can.

The only common connection between the compressor and fan capacitor will be the neutral (or common)- it does not go "inline".
-- Chris Bryant