cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DPDT Golf Cart Switch

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
My girlfriend keeps ruining the charging cable on her golf cart by pulling on the cord instead of the plug. How would a double pole, double throw switch work if it was inserted into the cable between the charger and the plug? She leaves the charger on the golf cart all the time. It is an older cart that requires the cable to be plugged/unplugged between charges.
8 REPLIES 8

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what is confusing people. As stated in the OP, she leaves her charger on the cart. I want to disconnect it from, and connect it to, the batteries without her having to pull the charging cable from its port. It has the old "V" shaped connector and she damages the cable by pulling on it rather than the cable end. Yes, it would be great if she would grab the plastic shroud instead of the cable, but it will be even easier if I rig a switch to connect/disconnect the charging cables.

What people may not understand is that her cart/charger combination requires that the charger be separated and then reconnected to the batteries before it will attempt to recharge them the next time.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Confusion here.
On board charger?

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
If the charger is on the golf cart all the time... don't you still need to unplug to go anywhere?

I see where I might have misled you. It is the cable between the charger and the batteries that I am concerned with.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If the charger is on the golf cart all the time... don't you still need to unplug to go anywhere?

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out the BLUE SEA HD SWITCHES

Might be something here you can use...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
You only need a single throw switch. If it's a two conductor cable that attaches to the two battery terminals, you really only need a single pole switch.

Edit: Unless it's unplugging the battery from the charger and plugging it into the golf cart...though I really don't see any reason why it's electrically necessary to unplug the golf cart during charging (i.e. it's only necessary because the cables physically require it, not because the charger output would harm the golf cart as its parked).

I see no reason why it would not work effectively provided the switch is adequately rated. A battery disconnect switch such as is used for boats etc. would be a good choice (if perhaps overkill). The switch will be happiest if the charger is turned off before throwing the switch so that it's not trying to open when there's significant current flowing.

If you wanted to be clever, you could also wire up a relay/solenoid of the appropriate rating to the power feed of the charger so that it switches automagically as needed.