Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

factory gen prep

watt100
Explorer
Explorer
Factory generator opt

We are thinking of ordering a Big Country from rv nation with the fac gen onan 5500 lp. The option with there discount would cost us apx $4400 give or take. We will boon dock a little and other times on trip maybe Walmart or rest area, probably not to much of either. What are others suggestions and or opinions. I know we could use a pair of Honda generators and do the same thing little more hassle and would be out in the open. Just looking for onput.
Thanks for you help
watt100
2016 Ram 3500 SRW
2016 Grand Design Reflection
7 REPLIES 7

watt100
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to every one who replied to my post, all things I have thought about, still undecided, need to sleep on it for a while longer.
thanks
watt100
2016 Ram 3500 SRW
2016 Grand Design Reflection

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I had limited hours on my built in generators on my Class As. Cost per hour, quite high if you are a CPA. Priceless to pull into a rest area, crank up AC, nuke a meal, etc.
I can't see doing this with a honda/yammy at a rest stop. pull it out, hook it up, use it, and do the reverse. :s
people will pay $6,000 for FBP but not spend money for a decent generator setup?
bumpy

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
$4,400 added cost. Financed? Add in interest charges for an actual total cost.

Ask how much value the generator will ADD to the resale price of your rig.

yes, these are different points but valid ones, nevertheless.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think it really depends on how you plan to use the 5th wheel and how much battery power you need. I dry camp most of the time but have low energy req's. With 2 6 v batteries I camp for 7 days and my batteries are at 50% SOC. By that time I am out of FW and laundry needs to be done so I go to a CG with a laundry mat and electric, fully charge my batteries, fill water tank, and do laundry. I have a 5.5 kw built in genset that I look for ways to use it instead of exercising it once a month. If I were to buy a FW I would save the $4400 and buy a portable one based on how I camp. The built in gensets are convenient but use more fuel and require a lot more maintenance as the get older. I just replaced a governor control board on mine for $300 this week and a coil last year for $150.

Donnoh
Explorer
Explorer
Convenience wise it would probably be nice if you could stand the noise and the LP use. I'd rather have a Honda or two myself.
For occasional use it's not worth the money for me.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bite the bullet and do it right instead of half baked which you will regret in years to come when you get tired of messing around with portables. at least get it generator ready.
bumpy

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
How big is the propane tank for the RV? That generator uses 1.7 lbs/hr at no load, 3.4 lbs/hr at half load, and 4.7 lbs/hr at full load (or, alternately stated, 0.4, 0.8, and 1.1 gal/hr) according to the Onan documentation. It adds up pretty quickly.