cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Eaton 17,000# axle shaft

jferre9570
Explorer
Explorer
I have a leaking axle seal. "The book" says to strike the center of the axle shaft using a drift and heavy hammer; axle won't budge. FWIW, I believe this to be the first time removal of this axle has been attempted in 18 years/90K miles. This axle does use the tapered split wedge locks on the studs. Any thoughts on my next steps? Thanks in advance.
John & Diane
1996 Beaver Monterey 3403
2005 Honda CRV toad
10 REPLIES 10

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
jferre9570 wrote:
....and your recommendation for a genuine penetrant would be?
I recommend PB Blaster

_40Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure that the axle isn't bound by having it in park while on a slight incline. Placing the transmission in neutral and using the park brake would be the best way. Chocking wheels will help too.
2013 Arctic Fox 22GQ
2011 Ram 2500 CC LB CTD G56 3.42 Mineral Gray

jferre9570
Explorer
Explorer
....and your recommendation for a genuine penetrant would be?
John & Diane
2005 Honda CRV toad

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A genuine penetrant squirted all around the cones helps. Use STEEL not brass which absorbs some of the zinging shock but wear gloves or suffer possible nerve damage to your hands.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
That is similar to what I have seen used. Then smack the living #$%^&* out of it.

jferre9570
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the thoughts. Any judgement on this toolor similar
John & Diane
2005 Honda CRV toad

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
The head of the axle is designed to take a shock load to loosen the seal to the hub. When struck, the axle will rebound outwards. If it has wedges,you will need to hit it with at least a 8# sledge hammer repeatedly until it jars the wedges loose. Have done 1,000's of them when I was in the truck shops. When the sound changes when you hit it, it will ring, it is loose. I have special pliers that will split the wedges and remove them. You can use a small chisel and hammer, tap the chisel into the split at a 90* angle to the stud. This will expand them so you can slide them off. I have never used a drift, could not get anyone brave enough to hold it while I swing the hammer. If you are not accurate with the hammer, the studs will suffer. be prepared to repair or replace them. Also, cut an empty gallon oil jug in half, so it will fit under the hub to catch the oil that will pour out when it breaks loose.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Aim for a center field home run. I have seen pressure put on with a puller and then strike the puller like you want to bust it to pieces.

SeaDog_BRR
Explorer
Explorer
You will need at least a five pound sledge and a heavy drift pin and hit very hard like K Charles said.
Greg aka SeaDog Ret Navy
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS TT
96 Winnebago Adventurer 34RQ W/SO (selling)
06 F350 6.0, Harley Ultra Classic ๐Ÿ™‚ 64 corvette ๐Ÿ™‚

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
You need to hit it very hard, maybe with a bigger hammer.