cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

electric issues

robertjhunt
Explorer
Explorer
when i started my onan 4k genset 1 im my class A it smoke the new power converter. any ideas what could cause this problem. it was unplug from shore power prior to starting the generator. only the fridge was running and nothing else. im thinking the time delay in the transfer switch but not sure.
33 REPLIES 33

robertjhunt
Explorer
Explorer
Convertor worked fine. Started blowing smoke from inside it. The old got a power surged due not bring on a surge protector.no load except with just fridge

robertjhunt
Explorer
Explorer
It has a transformer regulator. Is this the same as a voltage regulator

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
"New power converter" ---often this is a clue, being the last thing that was changed before the incident.

Did the converter work ok on shore power or was this the first time used?

What is the converter connected to--how much of a load? Any changes to that wiring when putting in the new converter?

How did it "smoke?" Is it just the reverse polarity fuses or big smoke from inside the casing?

Why did you need a new converter? Same thing happen to the previous one?

It would help to know more about the whole thing instead of thinking up all sorts of questions like those. ๐Ÿ™‚
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Transfer relay will not cause a power surge to "smoke" any appliance. Odds are the Genset was either not at correct speed or it has a Voltage regulating problem. Possible voltage regulator if your Genset has one. SPEED (1800 RPMs) is 128 volts no load. If the Genset runs faster than 1800 the 120 voltage increases also. If someone turned the idle screw in to stop a Onan Genset from surging or running rough, that will INCREASE the engine speed and the AC voltage. Doug

Really need Year of RV and Model of Onan