cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

electric issues

robertjhunt
Explorer
Explorer
when i started my onan 4k genset 1 im my class A it smoke the new power converter. any ideas what could cause this problem. it was unplug from shore power prior to starting the generator. only the fridge was running and nothing else. im thinking the time delay in the transfer switch but not sure.
33 REPLIES 33

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
EDIT--ok based on your last posts--you have some sort of "issue" with the gen power, so don't run your microwave or anything except on inverter or shore power. Sorry to say, you will need some tech shop work on that gen problem (perhaps from the surge incident.)
-----------

On gen power, don't yet plug in the microwave or anything expensive, just plug in say a table lamp with a 60 or 100w bulb in it. If it works ok, then you might get brave and try the microwave etc.

Meanwhile you still need a 10 amp or whatever battery charger to get by until your next converter arrives. If you have a battery charger now, you could see if that works ok on generator power, so you can be in business for 12v (including 120v on inverter from battery) on battery while getting 120v for the other things from gen, inverter, or shore power.

Hard to say if you are out of the woods yet wrt that gen or transfer switch. We still don't know what fried the converter.

If you have solar, you can get by a little longer without needing a battery charger, but not for long usually. (Cloudy days) Always carry a 10 amp or so battery charger along just in case )
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

robertjhunt
Explorer
Explorer
i never had a problem with the generator before the power surge here at the house. i could run it all day and not have any issues including running the AC.

robertjhunt
Explorer
Explorer
started about 130 volts then jumped to about 140-147 volt

robertjhunt
Explorer
Explorer
110v on the plug outlets

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
robertjhunt wrote:
Boondocker pmb4b-60.
Got it last Dec. Have to check the 110v at the plug still

Check that 110v quality for sure. On the warranty, Randy is good for anything reasonable. But of course you need to find the problem before frying another one. We can help if you can give us details as asked for.
Photo in Profile

robertjhunt
Explorer
Explorer
Boondocker pmb4b-60.
Got it last Dec. Have to check the 110v at the plug still

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Still need to know if your 120v from the various receptacles is ok for voltage and three-light with generator supply, so you don't fry your microwave etc.

Which model Boondocker? The older model 100 amper has a shaky thermistor for the 120v input that can make lots of smoke (don't ask ๐Ÿ™‚ ) it also has a 125v glass fuse at the 120v input that could smoke. You have to do something special to get the thermistor to smoke. The newer ones have a beefier thermistor (lesson learned!)

If all the other 120v things were ok on generator, not just the breakers with nothing on, but with 120v appliances on too--- then we can zero in on the converter issue, but if the 120v is bad from gen but ok from inverter and shore power, then we can return to the generator or transfer switch, etc.

Do you know for sure you were on the new converter for that 12v stuff on shore power, and not just on batteries? (13.x v instead of 12.x v) So the batteries are ok and not the reason the converter fried?

Got to zero in on what to be looking at. ( I am still thinking about that earlier surge incident)
Photo in Profile

robertjhunt
Explorer
Explorer
It's a 1987 emc eldarado

robertjhunt
Explorer
Explorer
No one asked year make and model of my rv

robertjhunt
Explorer
Explorer
I stated it the beginning it was a onan 4k genset 1. I replied on the make of the converter if you look back

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
robertjhunt wrote:
First time running the generator. Only the converter smoked.didn't trip any breakers or blow any fuses.

You just joined. BAD forum conduct to not post correct answers to questions. Year/Brand model RV and Model of Genset was requested and you have not responded. Think of it this way. Would you state you have a Ford problem on your car and expect help without Year Model and specifics on the Car? Always respond with answers to requests. Gets you better and more qualified help. Also, HIGH voltage or surge will NOT cause breakers or certain fuses to trip. REVERSE polarity of the 12 volt positive and negative either at the Converter or at the Battery will "smoke" a converter when 120 is applied. Doug

robertjhunt
Explorer
Explorer
It's a powermax bondocker converter. I emailed them about warranty it but it's the weekend.

robertjhunt
Explorer
Explorer
It plugs into existing outlet coming of the breaker for 110v power and pos-neg for 12v fuse panel in power box.

robertjhunt
Explorer
Explorer
First time running the generator. Only the converter smoked.didn't trip any breakers or blow any fuses.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has the gen been run since the earlier power surge? Did things work ok? Or is this the first time since then? Anything else get fried in that power surge? (would a transfer switch fry from that?)

Must have been batteries besides the fridge as part of the converter's load--any changes to batteries or wiring from them?

Maybe not turn on any 120v items in the rig when on gen just yet, but with the gen running check the 120v with a three-light tester and a voltmeter before turning anything on that might get fried too.

What is the model of the new converter? Warranty? Can you return to the workshop that installed it?

BTW you can charge your batteries with an ordinary battery charger until you get a converter, and run the rig's 12v from battery, while still being able to run the 120v stuff from inverter, shore power, or generator (if the gen runs them ok)
Photo in Profile