cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

electric issues

robertjhunt
Explorer
Explorer
when i started my onan 4k genset 1 im my class A it smoke the new power converter. any ideas what could cause this problem. it was unplug from shore power prior to starting the generator. only the fridge was running and nothing else. im thinking the time delay in the transfer switch but not sure.
33 REPLIES 33

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
robertjhunt wrote:
Model looks like 4.0 bge-1R/26100C
60 hertz

Lots about those if you Google.

This one mentions the high voltage caused by a screw touching something and so on. Read down a ways-- Might give you somewhere to start anyway.

http://www.rvamerica.com/TownTalk/RVAmericaForums/tabid/79/forumid/1/postid/288188/scope/posts/Defau...
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

robertjhunt
Explorer
Explorer
Model looks like 4.0 bge-1R/26100C
60 hertz

robertjhunt
Explorer
Explorer
That last post tells me absolutely nothing but that you copied it. This the part in my onan manual. Transformer-regulator #315-0605 60 hertz 120v
315-0646 50 hertz 120/240v
315-0645 50 hertz 110/220v

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
happycamper002 wrote:

NEC disallows this auto transformers, but RV owners came up with a workaround by having them pluggable instead of hardwiredโ€”a loophole they think that outsmart the NEC Code Panel.

The section of the NEC that disallows autotransformers is specifically dealing with "Combined electrical systems" (i.e. the converter in an RV, and other devices that interact with both 120V and 12V circuitry). As such, it would appear to require simply that you simply can't construct a converter using an autotransformer but instead must use some circuit that provides galvanic isolation between the 120V and 12V sides. I don't think it applies outside of that context (though in this case the wording of the code is not as clear as one might hope).

Note that the term autotransformer applies to a certain method of building a transformer (namely, having the primary and secondary coils shared or at least interconnected, rather than entirely isolated), and not only to voltage step-up/step-down devices, such as the Hughes Autoformer, although such devices do typically employ autotransformers in their construction.

robertjhunt
Explorer
Explorer
The transformer regulator is what I found in my parts manual from onan. When I started the generator it was at about 130v then140-147 I turned it off for a couple mins and restarted and checked it again at 118v and plugged in a light with a 65 watt flood light bulb and checked it again. It didn't change from turning the bulb on or off

happycamper002
Explorer
Explorer
I stated that my manual shows a transformer regulator not a voltage regulator. I can't read the model number on tag. It's to worn out. I ASKED IF THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR IS THE SAME AS TRANSFORMER REGULATOR. I stated it's in a 1987 emc eldarado
-------------------
Transfer relay will not cause a power surge to "smoke" any appliance. Odds are the Genset was either not at correct speed or it has a Voltage regulating problem. Possible voltage regulator if your Genset has one. SPEED (1800 RPMs) is 128 volts no load. If the Genset runs faster than 1800 the 120 voltage increases also. If someone turned the idle screw in to stop a Onan Genset from surging or running rough, that will INCREASE the engine speed and the AC voltage. Doug
---------------------
Really need Year of RV and Model of Onan
------------------------

It has a transformer regulator. Is this the same as a voltage regulator ?

started about 130 volts then jumped to about 140-147 volt

* This post was edited 03/05/17 06:17pm by robertjhunt *
-------------------------

My response.

I agree that the speed is proportional with the frequency and output of the generator. For an older genset, you may not have this adjustable feature, thus ,it is fixed, no adjustment.

What catches my attention is when you mentioned transformer regulator. What I find more intriguing is when you read 140-147 volts.

In most cases you don't need a transformer to augment the energy supplied to the RV.

This sounds like someone had added an autotransformer (also known as autoformer in Rver lexicon) The genny may have a chronic intermittent low voltage that prompted this autoformer to be installed.

Auto transformers (autoformers) have taps adjustment or simply auto adjust settings to compensate for any nuances in line voltage. This system works great if you are permanently parked in an area where low voltage is the norm. . . not good or useless if you are in a location that doesn't need a voltage boost.

The downside in the system is when the winding of the transformer has some burned spots. Since it is a single winding transformer (otherwise it won't be called autotransformer), it has a tendency to jack up the voltage because it will approach line voltage to compensate for a bad winding.

Locate this transformer and disconnect either by unplugging or disconnecting the wire if permanently installed. This will not affect the distributed power to the RV. Run your genny and take another reading and see if still shows this higher than normal voltage.

NEC disallows this auto transformers, but RV owners came up with a workaround by having them pluggable instead of hardwiredโ€”a loophole they think that outsmart the NEC Code Panel.

robertjhunt
Explorer
Explorer
I stated that my manual shows a transformer regulator not a voltage regulator. I can't read the model number on tag. It's to worn out. I ASKED IF THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR IS THE SAME AS TRANSFORMER REGULATOR. I stated it's in a 1987 emc eldarado

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I TOLD you needed info. Your Onan post is NOT the Model number. It is the SIZE. Also Year model???? That tells me since you refused to give model number you have the OLD style Onan which may have NO voltage regulator. Engine speed governs 120 output. You stated 140 volts. WAY too high and that kind of AC voltage for a few seconds will indeed burn out various appliances. Frequency and voltage are controlled by engine speed. Transfer relay has no bearing on your problem. Doug

robertjhunt
Explorer
Explorer
Could it possible be a bad transfer switch with a bad delay timer not working correctly and letting power through before it should? Any thoughts how to test if possible

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have heard of things settling down when under load, but not sure what is going on here. I would not trust that gen power until you have it checked out in a proper shop.

I don't have any other thoughts--maybe somebody here does ๐Ÿ™‚ IMO don't run the microwave or especially, the air conditioner (very expensive), until you have had that gen power looked at by a pro.
Photo in Profile

robertjhunt
Explorer
Explorer
My parts manual shows a transformer regulator. Is that the same as voltage regulator ?

robertjhunt
Explorer
Explorer
Just plugged in a table lamp with 65 watt flood light and getting 115volts. Turned off lamp and stayed at 115volts

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
robertjhunt wrote:
140 volts from the generator isnt to high at the plug?

Boondocker specs say ok up to 130v input.

EDIT--looks like Doug was right (as usual) about that voltage regulator.
Photo in Profile

robertjhunt
Explorer
Explorer
140 volts from the generator isnt to high at the plug?