cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

eternabond vs flex seal tape for fixing rv freshwater tank

rockwind1
Explorer II
Explorer II
i've got 2 water tanks, both made by Aztec, and both are cracked. tried plastic welding and it just doesn't work.

IS THERE ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FLEX SEAL TAPE AND ETERNA BOND RV ROOF REPAIR TAPE?

has anyone used either to repair a small leak on their water tanks, i think i have 6" wide tape so there would be plenty of overlap.

has anyone compared the 2? i almost think this flex seal guy is just remarketing eternabond tape
24 REPLIES 24

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't want the tarr-y side of Eternabond tape to be in contact with any water I'd be drinking.

If it were me, I'd remove the tank and do a fiberglass repair on it.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

ajriding
Explorer II
Explorer II
Flex Seal: As Seen ON TV!
There is your answer.
Junk.
If it were good then real stores would sell it.

There is a product made for this:
SR Speciality Recreation. Holding Tank Patch. called INSTA
made to peel and stick as a patch.for ABS and polyethylene tanks. "long lasting"

Eternabond is great stuff. Im not sure about taping it to water tanks with the sticky side on the wet side. It likely will fail.

Use 2-part epoxy that is specific to plastics. Hardware stores or Walmark has it.
Sand and clean the area well.
Use fiberglass fabric in the mix if more strength is needed. Layer more on after a short drying interval per directions, or just when it dries to a tack. If dry overnight,then lightly sand then clean, then apply more.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rockwind1 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I would think a call to Aztec would be the correct answer!

i did call them, very unhelpful. get better help on here by far. it's not like they are going to send me new tanks or anything.

Bummer, thought they would give you the best possible advice.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
My Eternabond patch lasted for 10 years, then I sold that RV. I'd say that is close to permanent.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockwind1 wrote:
i've got 2 water tanks, both made by Aztec, and both are cracked. tried plastic welding and it just doesn't work.

IS THERE ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FLEX SEAL TAPE AND ETERNA BOND RV ROOF REPAIR TAPE?

has anyone used either to repair a small leak on their water tanks, i think i have 6" wide tape so there would be plenty of overlap.

has anyone compared the 2? i almost think this flex seal guy is just remarketing eternabond tape

Flex Seal products STINK (not my first choice of words). However, it's also unlikely that Eternabond will also solve your cracked tank problems. You are going to need a new tank to solve your problem. You "might"be able to find someone who does plastic welding and do a full weld on the crack but it's likely that event this would be a short term solution.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

dhull
Explorer II
Explorer II
I repaired 1 once by using a fiberglassing kit. Roughed up b the thick plastic with a wire brush, mixed the resin and applied the soaked cloth to the tank. Didn't even have to remove tank that was cracked on bottom as the cloth will stick upside down. Lasted at least 10 years until parents sold it.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Phi Swift here for Flexseal "use Eternabond". But like others have said, it is temporary, since the pressure is pushing out against the Eternabond.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Eterna Bond worked for my white plastic water tank.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Randu wrote:
MrWizard wrote:
I think somebody posted flexseal is the new name for Eternabond for some markets

Compare the pricing, same price same stuff
Half price , not the same

I work for the company that owns Eternabond.
Flexseal IS NOT a new name for Eternabond ANYWHERE !

Flexseal is completely different company (Competition) and not even close in performance.

Randu

The newer name is SticknBond

Still made by Eternabond but in smaller patches and smaller rolls.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
The primer makes a big difference in bonding strength. Worth the extra cost and time. But I would consider an Eternabond patch to be a temporary fix at best. Might want to drill a small hole at the end of each crack to help prevent it from traveling.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
Randu wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
I have used both. There is no comparison. Eternabond last. Flex seal is a joke.

Completely Agree-- Not really designed for what your attempting but if it works, It will be with the Eternabond. I would take some fine sandpaper to the tank side to rough it just slightly to give the Eternabond some texture to grip. Randu

I agree. Contact Eternabond. They have a cleaner/ primer they recommend, I have used, and it made the difference in bonding strength on our"C".
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer

MrWizard
Thank you
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
I think somebody posted flexseal is the new name for Eternabond for some markets

Compare the pricing, same price same stuff
Half price , not the same

I work for the company that owns Eternabond.
Flexseal IS NOT a new name for Eternabond ANYWHERE !

Flexseal is completely different company (Competition) and not even close in performance.

Randu
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
You must have room to blow hot air from a heat gun for this to work but I have been told it works well.
Tap plastic
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand