cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ew, that smell...

losingit
Explorer
Explorer
We've had our TT for 4 seasons now, we mostly use it for long weekend getaway and an occasional trip to far away places. We love it! Except for one issue we discovered on our first week long trip. We were introduced to a horrible black tank smell. I flushed the tank, added chemicals, etc... it helped, but anytime we take a trip longer than a few days it comes back. Before our season starts this year I decided to figure out what was causing it and fix it. My first task, check the roof vent. I figured while I was up there I would go ahead and put a new vent cap on, one that is supposed to allow better venting. When I pulled the existing vent cap off I immediately found the problem. The vent pipe didn't come through the cap, it was off to one side, over half the vent pipe was blocked by the cap mounting structure. I was also able to see into the camper ceiling area via a rather large hole next to where the pipe came through. I pulled the entire cap, sealed the hole around the vent pipe, installed the new cap and sealed everything up good. This season should be free of the odor!
2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Radiance 31DSBH
18 REPLIES 18

losingit
Explorer
Explorer
Horsedoc wrote:
Great work.
When I first read the topic line I thought it was Lynyrd Skynyrd's song by Ronnie Van Zant
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=song+that+smell+artist+lynyrd+skynyrd

๐Ÿ˜‰

LOL, you caught my play on words! Love me some Skynyrd!
2014 Radiance 31DSBH

losingit
Explorer
Explorer
Dusty R wrote:
I've heard of the vent pipe falling down to where the bottom of it is sitting on the bottom of the tank.
I wonder if maybe yours fell down a little ways ?

Dusty

I thought that too, and tried pulling up on it, wouldn't move. It was pretty obvious the guy who installed the vent cap just put it on "close enough" and called it a day.

I am gonna go ahead and order another vent cap for the gray vent and install it too.
2014 Radiance 31DSBH

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard of the vent pipe falling down to where the bottom of it is sitting on the bottom of the tank.
I wonder if maybe yours fell down a little ways ?

Dusty

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great work.
When I first read the topic line I thought it was Lynyrd Skynyrd's song by Ronnie Van Zant
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=song+that+smell+artist+lynyrd+skynyrd

๐Ÿ˜‰
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow