cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

exilir xlr 45 converter

RustyScupper
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to solve a problem with an exilir xlr45 Converter. The converter's audiable alarm is going off. (manual says that it is because the draw is greater than it can produce) Only issue is that there are no appliances running.

There is 13.5 volts, so that checks out fine with the batteries off. I pulled each fuse one at a time and that didnt make a difference.

There doesn't seem to be any corrosion anywhere.

What am i missing? Just a bad converter? Does the whole thing need to be replaced? Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

RustyScupper
Explorer
Explorer
Could do that. It is actually a friends trailer not mine (didnt mention that earlier because it didnt pertain). Don't want to screw something up and fry something. If I could save them a buck and it fixes the problem and no screw ups that would be ideal.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Why not get the charger, review the instructions and sleep on it?

RustyScupper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Drew E. Now the decision if I want to tackle this myself or take somewhere.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
RustyScupper wrote:
Batteries are good. Swapped in new ones and same result.

Beemerphile1 - that is what I was suspecting. Does the whole unit need to be replaced (fuse/breaker panel) or can the "converter part" be replace.

Almost always you can replace just the converter itself and leave the distribution panels etc. intact. It may require a little bit of creativity in mounting, or perhaps even installing a separate converter that is deck-mounted elsewhere.

Bestconverter.com is a good place to start looking for what you need; they're reputable, have good tech support, and have decent prices. Many people here favor the Progessive Dynamics converters with the charge wizard.

RustyScupper
Explorer
Explorer
Batteries are good. Swapped in new ones and same result.

Beemerphile1 - that is what I was suspecting. Does the whole unit need to be replaced (fuse/breaker panel) or can the "converter part" be replace.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Be happy it has lasted this long, your converter is dying. Elixir converters are very poor quality, have a high failure rate, are only single stage, and are no longer made for good reason.

The low voltage alarm sounding for no reason is a sign of impending failure of an Elixir.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

westend
Explorer
Explorer
What is the condition of your batteries? It may be that a battery has an internal short.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton