cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Exterior coax connector cover

penguin149
Explorer
Explorer
The vinyl cover on my coax connection has torn loose. Any cheap hacks to keep this covered and dirt/dust out while allowing for fairly easy access? Don't really want to remove the old plate and replace the whole thing. Too much of an opportunity to invite a leak. This is similar to what my connection looks like....well except that the cap is now a separate piece!!

https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-Trailer-Camper-Electronics/dp/B00MJVAM7E/ref=pd_lpo_263_img_0/144...
2021 Nissan Titan Pro-4X 5.6L V8 4WD - 2019 Keystone Bullet 243BHS
10 REPLIES 10

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the original cap still has the tether attached to it, screw it into the plastic base near where it used to attach.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
dryfly wrote:
If it were me, I would get a compression type coax fitting, the type that goes on the end of the coaxial cable (male F compression for RG-59 cable)and fill the end where the coax goes into the fitting with epoxy to seal it.

You then have a nice waterproof screw on fitting that will keep dirt out of the female connector and protect the threads and they are cheap.

Same here. only two "Edits"
1: Compression ring units come in standard and "Weatherproof" Get weatherproof
2: I use Goop instead of expoxy But that's just becasue I use a lot of Goop general purpose adheasive/sealant that's way easier to work with.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

penguin149
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the ideas and replies. In a moment of cheapness (which I experience often!), I found that the lid of a Gatorade bottle will snap over the area of the coax connection. I had to trim the threads from the inside of the cap but it fits snugly and should stay. If not, I know where to get another!!
2021 Nissan Titan Pro-4X 5.6L V8 4WD - 2019 Keystone Bullet 243BHS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two suggestions
First.... COAX SEAL (will provide link) it is a
This is the best

Second "GOOP" This is more.. er.. permenate (harder to get off if you ever have to)

Coax Seal

YOu can find this at ham radio stores like Ham Radio outlet or DX ENgineering or Giga parts. The link I provided and even some RV dealers. It is good stuff .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
In a pinch, if you have an old short coax cable, you could always cut it off a 1/4inch from the fitting and screw the fitting on. That should keep the dirt and dust out.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
try these:coax cover
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, I would get a compression type coax fitting, the type that goes on the end of the coaxial cable (male F compression for RG-59 cable)and fill the end where the coax goes into the fitting with epoxy to seal it.

You then have a nice waterproof screw on fitting that will keep dirt out of the female connector and protect the threads and they are cheap.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Replace the entire cover. Seal it and chances are it will be more waterproof than the original.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are Handy, as Red Green used to say, you can rig up a new tether using 1/16th aircraft cable that you can get from a hardware store. I put tethers on my tank drain cover and dump hose storage tube for example. Otherwise just replace the box and use some silicone sealant to prevent leaks.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have two outside cable hookups, that were covered with small rubber/vinyl type covers just big enough to cover the fitting. The sun/weather took it's toll on them, so I replaced with some brass screw on covers designed for cable connections. Just google cable connection covers, see what comes up. I ordered mine from Amazon.

Jerry