Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

External Propane Hookup

jeremywatco
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

Was thinking about purchasing one of those Propane T Kits so you can hookup an external propane tank.

In looking at my setup, my motorhome currently has a quick release port right at the tank for an external BBQ. Is it possible to hook an external propane tank to this port? I'm assuming its all the same thing. I'd just need to find a hose that goes from a propane tank to a quick release port (kind found on air compressors)
9 REPLIES 9

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
red31 wrote:
one container pressure QD and one disposable thread.

2 containter pressure QDs, oh so scarry.

Those are high pressure hoses. I guess you have to pick your QD kit carefully. My house hoses are Sturgis, too, but 1/2 PSI. The RV ones are like the ones pictured.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

red31
Explorer
Explorer
one container pressure QD and one disposable thread.

2 containter pressure QDs, oh so scarry.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
I like at least the screw on "Quick Connect" fitting like the top of a throw away bottle.

The Extend-a-stay kit came with one of those screw-on, quick connect fittings. I like them because you can daisy-chain them.

I have the plug-in type quick connects for my sticks-and-bricks home on the propane and natural gas lines. The natural gas obviously comes to the house low pressure. The propane is a multi-stage system. I have the ports on the low pressure side of the regulators. I'm too lazy to check, but I'm reasonably sure that the quick-connect fittings and the hoses that come with them are low-pressure only. The kit I got to feed my generator says "1/2 PSI MAX" on the hose.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would need photo's to tell anything

Sonme folks have put in high pressure Quick Release ports. I do not like them

I like at least the screw on "Quick Connect" fitting like the top of a throw away bottle. If you have a Quick Release type port a cut off valve is .. Highly recommended. Between the main line and the valve.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

red31
Explorer
Explorer
yes, with the correct feed hose.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
jeremywatco wrote:
My manual describes it as an accessory port and its is before the regulator (on the tank side). So would this mean I could attach a tank to it and supply propane to the rig?

I have an Extend-a-stay on mine and it's after the main shut-off valve for the fixed tank but before the regulator. The instructions say to shut off the fixed tank before connecting a cylinder. I'm not sure what would happen otherwise. Would the cylinder empty into the fixed tank? Whatever would happen would be the same in your case.

jeremywatco
Explorer
Explorer
My manual describes it as an accessory port and its is before the regulator (on the tank side). So would this mean I could attach a tank to it and supply propane to the rig?

red31
Explorer
Explorer
depending on how it plumbed it might be a container pressure port.
I'd read the model number of the port and contact mbSturgis
https://mbsturgis.com/rv-propane-hoses-sturgi-stays-quick-disconnects-regulators.html

https://mbsturgis.com/contact/

SCClockDr
Explorer
Explorer
jeremywatco wrote:
Hi all,

Was thinking about purchasing one of those Propane T Kits so you can hookup an external propane tank.

In looking at my setup, my motorhome currently has a quick release port right at the tank for an external BBQ. Is it possible to hook an external propane tank to this port? I'm assuming its all the same thing. I'd just need to find a hose that goes from a propane tank to a quick release port (kind found on air compressors)
The T kits I'm familiar with go on the high pressure side of the regulator. The BBQ quick disconnect is on the low pressure side.
George & Cathy
08 Titanium 28E33SA, XM, Honda EU 3000is, Trimetric, RotoChocks, LP Reg. Mod, 2 Gal Accum., WiFiRanger GO2/Mobile
04 Ram 3500 5.9 DRW, PAC PRXB E/B, 4" MBRP SS Exhaust, Gauges, Aux Tank/box, BrakeSmart.
ETCS (ss) USN Ret