cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Factory alarm system for 1998 Dodge

Jonathan_Clemen
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had any experience with the optional factory installed alarm system for Dodge? We have a 1998 Dodge Roadtrek 190-Versatile that we acquired in June. It is activated by locking the vehicle with the key fob and deactivated by unlocking it with the key fob. The previous owners said it worked and described a recent event when the wife accidently set it off. I didn't test it until a few weeks after we bought it and it didn't work. The only thing I can think of is that I disconnected the van battery for a few seconds while checking the battery posts. I am wondering if this deactivated the system. I haven't found anything on the internet. The local Dodge service department rep didn't thing that disconnecting the battery would cause the problem and suggested bringing it in for a diagnosis($99). If there is an easy fix for this I'd appreciate knowing about it.
2 REPLIES 2

Jonathan_Clemen
Explorer
Explorer
I got the following response from Roadtrek Service:

"The alarm system was not installed by Roadtrek and may have been installed by Dodge as part of the original unit.
This would be something that a Dodge dealer should be able to help you with maybe."

I am assuming from this that our van did have an alarm system as indicated by the previous owners. I confirmed this the hard way. I think if someone were to break a window, pull up a lock button and open the door the alarm would sound. A few days ago around 6AM at a nice quiet campground, with all the doors locked the previous evening via the key fob, I pulled up the lock button and opened the door. The horn honked about 4 times before I was able to get to the key fob and disarm the alarm. An embarrassing but learning experience.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I do not believe a 1998 Roadtrek on a Dodge chassis would have a OEM Dodge security system. I would call Roadtrek first and ask them. Doug