cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

false alarm "jacks down"

andybren
Explorer
Explorer
after sitting for a few days, I start my motorhome and when I put into drive, I get an alarm on the jacks panel and all lights flash telling me my jacks are down when they are not. After about 10 seconds, the alarm silences. This is intermittent, and only seems to happen after the rig has been sitting for a few days. Fluid level is correct, and no leaks. Stanchions appear to be in the correct retracted positions. Lastly, my stanchions do not have spring retractors. Any ideas?
9 REPLIES 9

dedmiston
Thinking a little more...

I think I'm going to close this thread for now.

Andy - If you want me to reopen the thread, feel free to send me a Private Message and I'll fix it for you.

Good luck,
Dave

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dedmiston
andybren wrote:
I am so sorry about my misuse of the English language. I thought this was a place where people of similar interests could get together and learn from each other. I was mistaken, it really is a class on proper English grammar. If you had the same amount of interest in helping me fix my technical problem as you do showing the world how ignorant I am, this site would be a better place. Thanks for nothing.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience here Andy.

Did Doug's comments help you resolve your problem? Doug is a long time member and is one of our most helpful resources. He really does know his stuff.

I'm very familiar with the term Stanchion, but I've never heard it in this context either. It didn't stop me from understanding what you meant though.

Sorry we got so pedantic with you. I think the covid lockdowns have made us all pretty twitchy. We just need to get out there and camp more.

Good luck with your jacks (and your stanchions!!!).

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

andybren
Explorer
Explorer
I am so sorry about my misuse of the English language. I thought this was a place where people of similar interests could get together and learn from each other. I was mistaken, it really is a class on proper English grammar. If you had the same amount of interest in helping me fix my technical problem as you do showing the world how ignorant I am, this site would be a better place. Thanks for nothing.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
larry cad wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
1. In 42 years as an RV tech, I have NEVER heard the term Stanchion to describe any type jack system:B

stanยทchion
noun: stanchion; plural noun: stanchions

an upright bar, post, or frame forming a support or barrier.

a frame that holds the head of a cow in place, especially to facilitate milking.

I don't know Doug, at least one of those definitions seems to fit! What do you think?

:B

Did not doubt the definition. Just how many times has ANYONE heard that term to describe a RV Jack System component? Doug

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
1. In 42 years as an RV tech, I have NEVER heard the term Stanchion to describe any type jack system:B

stanยทchion
noun: stanchion; plural noun: stanchions

an upright bar, post, or frame forming a support or barrier.

a frame that holds the head of a cow in place, especially to facilitate milking.

I don't know Doug, at least one of those definitions seems to fit! What do you think?

:B
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
As Larry said power gear alarms based on the fluid level in the tank but you said the fluid level was correct.

It goes off for 10 seeconds when you start but then silences and stays off. Or does it stay off.

If it stays off.. I'd re-read the manual on the system.

I know when I start my car, or my motor home or whatever every indicator light flashes (no audio alarms) every gauge moves through it's range of motion. Then they go to the current status.

it may be a POST (Power On Self Test) and nothing to worry about.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have Power Gear levelers and the light comes on when the reservoir tank is low on fluid by even a little bit. there is a fill plug on the top of the tank. Unscrew it and add a bit of hydraulic fluid (check your manual for type)
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
2008 coachmen pathfinder? All light flashing? Do you have the original owner's manual?
Look on the control for make of the jacks. This would help identify problem.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
2. You do not state Year/Brand/Model of RV. Also do not state Brand and/or model of Jack system.
3. Now, to answer your question. You do not have Retract springs, that means you have Hydraulic DOWN and UP. These type systems have a Hydraulic Pressure switch, that when all 4 jacks are fully retracted, the Switch opens once the Hydraulic pressure goes over about 2200 psi. Once this switch is satisfied, the system shows retracted and system shuts off.
4. 2 things will cause your problem. 1. System loses that hi pressure because of a external or internal fluid leak, which will NOT cause a jack to extend, but causes that pressure switch to open. When you turn on the RV, the system sees that loss of pressure and does a Automatic retract to restore the pressure on the PSI switch. 2. The pressure switch itself is defective and relaxes after a few days.
5. IF no external fluid leaks, I would not worry about it. Just a minor annoyance and not worth spending money unless it gets worse. Doug

PS. Power UP and Power down means it takes Hydraulic pressure to keep them FULLY retracted.