cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fantastic fan issue

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Last year the fantastic fan in my RV was acting up. It is a powered opening and closing one with a rain sensor, 3 speeds and it is reversible also. It is controlled by a Honeywell thermostat on the bedroom wall. It was working when tucked away for the winter. I just tried it now and I get nothing. I have taken the cover off the thermostat and cleaned the contacts (it's got a spring mechanism) and I have continuity when the contacts close. But the lid won't open, the fan doesn't run, even when I manually open the vent lid. The fan spins freely, I went up on the roof and checked for any signs of broken wires, but there were none and the metal contact plunger for the vent lid is free and working also. I checked the fuses also and they all are fine....
Proud father of a US Marine
9 REPLIES 9

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is a fuse in the fan assembly if I'm not mistaken (3ag type glass cartridge) and one in yoru main fuse box.. Those are my prime syspects.

I'd need eyes on for more than that.. I like that type of T-Stat in an RV. unlike some other designes it does not really care if it is a bit off level. like Works the same might be one degree off at 20 degrees tilt.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Well, thanks for the replies, it turned out to be the 15 amp fuse was blown.. The reason I thought the fuse was good was because the fuses were mislabeled (go figure) I also tried the furnace, and it wouldn't come on either.. So that is how I found which fuse it was, they are on the same fuse

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
There is a plunger switch pointing up and is about the circumference of a pencil. A little WD oil and massage it. It is stuck closed even when the lid is open.

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
Recheck the contacts where the springs push the lid close contacts apart. I fixed a neighbors FF by spraying these with caig deoxit d5, several years ago. He had a replacement fan for me to install and i was almost ready to R&R when the d5 can started yelling at me. I'd gone through everything else first.
Caig DeOxit is magic electric juice. No other contact cleaners compare.

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where is the power coming for the fan? On the one in my bedroom it comes from the light switch which I must on for the fan to work. Then I can turn the light on and off at the light.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Handheld meter...

How many OHMs resistance after you disconnect the power lead wires? You need to insure there aren't any in-series switches between the power inlet pigtail and the motor and lid opener

The only thing before the fan is the wall mounted thermostat

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Handheld meter...

How many OHMs resistance after you disconnect the power lead wires? You need to insure there aren't any in-series switches between the power inlet pigtail and the motor and lid opener

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Battery is 13.6

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
How is your battery voltage?

Jerry Parr
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B