cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Finally, A Roof Over My Head

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am finally re-coating the the 5'er roof. I put it off all winter. I had used the Dicor EPDM roof system about 18 month ago. It failed miserably. Yes....I power washer it twice, scrubbed it, applied the activator and rinsed as directed. It just didn't stick to about 50% of the existing membrane. So, I removed as much as humanly possible and started over with Heng's. I really hope I have better success with this product. I spent 8 hours yesterday prepping. First coat went on an hour ago.
11 REPLIES 11

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I just had an RV Armor roof put on mine. It is an epoxy that is mixed and then applied. It looks fantastic and is gauranteed for the life of the trailer and its a transferable warranty if I should sell it. I did not do this project myself. It's tedeous and a little complex in prep and mixing the liquid membrane to apply. Primer goes on first then the final membrane. It is tough as nails when dried. Plus they back it up with support should any future issues arise. They come to you wherever you are. The tech did mine in my yard beside the house where I park it. Took about 3 days to complete.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hengโ€™s works well for me. Never peeled.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another hour of putting the vent covers, refer cover and solar panel back down ........ Might even throw a third coat on, since I have almost a gallon left over.
I love this trailer. They just don't make them like this any longer. It's aluminum framed and aluminum (smooth) sided (no plilon). If it were built with an aluminum roof it would be perfect.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
This roof membrane is 21 years old and in EXCELLENT condition, having been stored indoors for 2/3's of its life.
As for the second shingle roof application....LOL...You're wrong. I'm a retired general contractor (licensed for 42 years). That first layer of roofing shingles provides an added barrier to rain, and it still has oils in it to help prolong the life of the new roofing materials.
I'm happy spending a day every two-three years re-coating what I've done. 6-8 hours of work is great exercise for an old guy...as long as I don't walk off the roof......

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
jdc1 wrote:
I am finally re-coating the the 5'er roof. I put it off all winter. I had used the Dicor EPDM roof system about 18 month ago. It failed miserably. Yes....I power washer it twice, scrubbed it, applied the activator and rinsed as directed. It just didn't stick to about 50% of the existing membrane. So, I removed as much as humanly possible and started over with Heng's. I really hope I have better success with this product. I spent 8 hours yesterday prepping. First coat went on an hour ago.

Didn't "learn" the first time and repeated history the second time?

For ALL of the work you have now done TWICE with two different products you will no doubt have more failures in your future to contend with.

Slathering liquid fixes in a drum are pretty much a short term band-aid at best which will require further attention in labor and materials. It is pretty much the same as putting a second layer of shingles on a sticks and bricks roof, the layer on top of the old will have a severely shortened service life.

If the roof was this bad to need something slathered on, it IS at the EOL (End Of Life) and if you are planning to keep it for more than a couple of years you ARE much better off putting a little bit more money into a NEW roof.. Especially all of the hard prep work that goes into scrubbing, cleaning, primering then applying the top coat..

I am painfully aware of all of the work and the failures, trust me, not worth messing around with liquid fixes in a can..

Do it once and do it right the FIRST TIME and you will not have to worry about the roof for another 12-15 yrs.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
Why did you have to redo it every year?
It's thin, I travel a lot, and the constant earthquake tends to loosen things up.

It's just one pesky corner of a skylight.

Thanks.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdc1 wrote:
It's thin, I travel a lot, and the constant earthquake tends to loosen things up.

It's just one pesky corner of a skylight.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I coated the roof on our 96 Southwind with Heng's about 4 years ago.
It's holding up well. Maybe I will have to touch it up when the weather warms up and I inspect the roof.
I'll use Heng's again.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Heng's is wonderful. If it's like what I use, it's rather more like paint than a thick gel.

I had a leaky skylight for years.. tried everything. Heng's worked. Have to redo it every year or so, but just in a few spots.

I think putting another layer on yearly would be more preferable to what I went through removing that Dicor product.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
3M does not make a roof coating?

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heng's is wonderful. If it's like what I use, it's rather more like paint than a thick gel.

I had a leaky skylight for years.. tried everything. Heng's worked. Have to redo it every year or so, but just in a few spots.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman