cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flo Jet tips and tricks -- here is one I just learned

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are a long-time Flo-Jet operator, you probably already know this.

After I cleaned out my tanks, I wanted to rinse out the pump unit while it was still attached to my RV by running a hose to the rinse valve of the pump.

I discovered that it is not a good idea to turn on the rinse port when the sewer gate valve is closed. If you do that, water will spray sideways out of the base of the unit, no matter how well the pump unit is sealed to the sewer's bayonet mount. This will happen even if the pump is running.

Not a disaster, but not fun, either.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
9 REPLIES 9

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
No negative reflection or disrespect intended toward anyone's post, but this incident reminds me of another incident that happened many years ago.

I was just finishing painting the gas pump island, crash bar, and side of the 6 inch rise of the walkway surround the convenience story of a fuel station. I had placed wet paint signs on all pumps both sides and pulled a 60 gallon trash can into the center of the drive between the pumps and store with wet paint signs on both approaching sides of it. As I was finishing, a gentleman pulled in at the pumps in a Ford truck and got out to pump his fuel and made eye contact with me. I placed a wet paint sign on the door above the handle and to the side of the handle and went inside and was talking to the manager at the counter. The gentleman finished pumping his fuel and came inside and said to me as he entered "I Think I Stepped In Your Paint" as he tracked it into the store.

I replied that I had been seeing the TV announcement by the 700 Club about their "Literacy Across America" program teaching adults to read. IIRC they were reporting that about 30-40 % of the Adult population could not read.

The gentleman Huffed, "I Have You Know I Read Your Signs."

I replied, "Now That Is Interesting."

He huffed out the store.

The moral of the story; He admitted that he could read and had in fact read the wet paint signs but yet walked in the wet paint. Its all about comprehension of what is read.

I learned having worked with thousands of adults and children over my career that the problem we have in America is not that we cannot read; we have a comprehension problem. Little children can read but they lack comprehension of much of what they read. We adults often do the same. We read but for some reason we arrive at the wrong conclusion about what we read.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8, it is amazing how often I go back and read the instructions after I encounter a problem, only to find that the issue is addressed in the manual.

Oh, well. Lesson learned, at least this time. ๐Ÿ˜‰
About our trailer

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Who reads instructions. We are MEN WE KNOW how it works.
(Well at least I do after I read the Instrucitons ๐Ÿ™‚ )
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Instructions state to close dump valves and turn on rinse water with pump on to clear pump and discharge hose

Also states 40psi MAX rinse pressure
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
PastorCharlie, are you insinuating that I did not read the instructions carefully??

You're right, unfortunately.

And shum02, that is a good suggestion. If I ever get the courage to disobey the warning in the instruction manual, I will try it your way.

I can tell you for a fact that my way (turn the water on full blast!) did not work.
About our trailer

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
IIRC the instructions state that the rinse is for the tank so that requires the gate valve to be opened while rinsing the tank and the pump at same time.

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
Turn the pump on before the water. Ease the water on slowly. Have over 60psi at home and have no issues.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's not a leak -- it's a mistake! Don't do what I did -- try to rinse the pump with the gate valve closed. That creates too much pressure, and the rinse water shoots out the side.

When handled properly, the Flo Jet does not make a mess at all.
About our trailer

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
?????

I have been using a Flojet portable since 2008
After dumping black/grey tanks I close the Dump Valves and open Rinse Valve on Flojet to clear pump and discharge hose

Never experienced any leaks from Bonnet Connection or pump casing

Not sure about your leak?????
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31