cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Four (4) Row Radiators? Gimmick or Blessing?

211Racing
Explorer
Explorer
I managed to put a crack on the bottom of my radiator (2002 E350 Super Duty 5.4 RV). Act of sheer stupidity. Cannot be fixed. Looking to replace. Factory OEM replacement has 2 rows of tubes. Costs about $180. Aftermarket with 4 rows of tubes costs about $370. Much to consider, as in the tubes might get smaller with more rows, the radiator might get wider (not fit), and the amount of coolant inevitably increases. While I am interested in opinions, I am more interested in someone that took the leap and installed a 4 row radiator. I am in central Texas where it does get good and warm, and will be towing maybe 2000# worth of trailer and dirt bikes.

Thanks for your help.
21 REPLIES 21

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Gimmick? No.
Blessing? Depends. Some lower row rads have a greater or better cooling capacity than higher # of rows or cores.
That said, I'd hazard whatever the original radiator was/is, is fine. It made it 20 years, right? I wouldn't spend the money to beef that up, without a decided need to, which isn't likely needed.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
211racing wrote:
I suppose another consideration is if you go from 2 rows to 4 could that keep the engine from reaching optimal operating temperature.

No, because the thermostat won't open until the engine gets up to temp, and the thermostat keeps coolant out of the radiator

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Ford has done an excellent job of sizing radiators for HD vehicles. Go back with original configuration. The "more is better" doesn't always work. The engine AND transmission need to operate at temperatures set by the factory.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

211Racing
Explorer
Explorer
The RV is new to me. Slowly bringing it back to life. No idea or evidence of overheating issues. Just trying to select the best options. I suppose another consideration is if you go from 2 rows to 4 could that keep the engine from reaching optimal operating temperature.

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
4 rows will make the hot coolant take a little longer time as it travels in and out thus providing more time to cool off better.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's spec'd for application it should fit in where it needs to go. 4 row rads provide better cooling but as was noted, if you were not having any problems with cooling to begin with the extra money might not be worth it.

If you weren't towing before and you're not sure if you'll have cooling issues then go for it, do the job once.

campinghut
Explorer
Explorer
The 4 row one would be better if built properly, it should be wider were the fins are but the tanks might be the same size. I have even put more row rads in SxS to help with cooling never mind heavily loaded vehicles. But if you were not having any problems with cooling to begin with the extra money might not be worth it.
Tim And Bev
2018 Mobile Suites 38RSSA, 560w solar, 2800w inverter (3 previous Artic fox trailers, 1 Cedar Creek, 1 Heartland Cyclone. In the last 8 Years)
2022 F350 (Previous trucks 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020 all Ford F350's)