cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Freezer -3 Fridge at 51 what's the problem?

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
We are boondocking in the Yukon and now my refrigerator isn't cooling down. 51 was probably the temperature outside last night, so no reason it shouldn't be colder....Could the thermistor be bad? I do have a replacement believe it or not because it wanted to be able to select my own temperature and bought an aftermarket one and never installed it. I don't really have any other ideas, I thought they ran together, pretty much if one worked, so did the other. Thanks for your help.
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com
21 REPLIES 21

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
Will do, It's a fridge full off stuff so it'll probably take a while I assume to see a drop.
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Keep us posted. Cleaning the burner tube should certainly help.

Said another way, if it is clogged, the flame will be diminished and may not produce enough heat to properly operate the cooling unit.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
I did a test and data logged our Dometic RV Fridge, 1999 vintage.

Start from OFF at about 55F, using 120VAC.

Took 3 hours before it started to cycle at Freezer 15F and Fresh Foods 40F

PM me with an email and I will share the XLS file.

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
We ALWAYS level, it's a Domestic RM2652, on propane for past few months as we're traveling and boondocking..... 51 for the fridge few degrees below zero for freezer, I just grabbed a hold of that coil thing in the flue from the top and rammed it up and down a few times to hopefully clean out the flue, then I removed the thing at the bottom and it sure, seemed like a bunch of **** came out. I checked the flame, nice and blue with a slight flicker of yellow every now and then. I can tell you everything feels hot as hell in there, lol. My hands are tore up from the last few days, now with a few extra burns...hopefully the flue thing did it. How long should I wait? Thanks again.
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
also know as clogging of the arteries usually caused by running the fridge out of level for a extended period of time. Most will tolerate a half bubble out of level (in both planes) but more than that causes damage to the cooling unit.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
What temp is food compartment getting down to?
How are you measuring temps?
What BRAND/MODEL is fridge?

Thermistor is temp sensor for thermostat and it senses fin temp in food compartment
With food compartment still warm the thermostat is calling for cooling cycle (heat source ON)

Freezer section gets cooling effect FIRST then food compartment
Freezer at -3*F and food compartment still hot suggests blockage in cooling unit tubing between Low temp evap coil (freezer) and the High temp evap coil (food)

You can try unplugging thermistor leads from lower board and force fridge to run continuously (which it probably already is due to food compartment being so warm)
You can replace thermistor and check fridge operation

But think results will be same........very cold freezer/warm food compartment
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Are you on propane or electric?
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS