cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gel battery safe Ah draw down percentage?

leica69
Explorer
Explorer
My camper has flooded lead-acid batteries and I know that the best practice is to avoid depleting the Ah capacity by more than 50%. A friend just got an RV with a gel battery. Does the same draw down percentage apply to gel batteries?
TIA, njb
6 REPLIES 6

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Gel battery construction is like a Hungarian actress...shower them with diamonds, platinum and obsessive compliments and constant care or you'll get a knife in your gut at midnight.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I use MK Battery 8G24 gel deep cycles in my Aliner.

I treat them about the same as any other battery. They love deep discharges but should not be equalized as that can cause air bubbles and reduce capacity.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi leica,

Probably AGM will be needed. They may not have vented the battery bay to the great outdoors.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

leica69
Explorer
Explorer
The RV my friend got is a 1999 Roadtrak 190 Popular. As for the battery type, I said gel because that was what is described on the original feature list. On reflection it seems very unlikely that the original battery is still in the vehicle. Bottom line--I don't know what's in there. I haven't seen the RV yet so I don't even know how many batteries there are. Any suggestions as to the best battery (batteries) to use?
TIA, njb

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would be willing to bet his RV does NOT have a Gel type battery.. Most likely it is an AGM Why do I say this.. Two reasons.. AGMs have nearly replaced GEL in all applications and the bigger the battery the more likely it is to be AGM.

Why is this: Gel are very delicate, they need very careful care and feeding, AGM's on the other hand are far far more rugged and forgiving of charger errors.

OPTIMA: lists them as both GEL and AGM, but they are AGM. (Source: Optima).

Now how far can you suck 'em down.. Some discussion on that but frankly I believe the limits are more or less the same as yours

Starting batteries, designed for short bursts of high current, try to keep them as full as possible

Marine/Deep cycle, Try to keep them 78-80 minimum

True Deep cycle (NOTE: Much easier to find AGM deep cycle 12 volt than it is other types) 50 percent

Some folks however say you can go down to 20 percent safely... But I'm not one of them.

What I found when I tried some AGMs.

The were the last batteries I put in my coach when I got it.. I had the OEM batteries (Interstate U-2200), I had some Marine/Deep cycles, that pre-dated the motor home, And finally I added a pair of Group 31 MK AGMs.

When it came time to replace.. The AGM's were the first to go

The the older Maine/Deep cycles

And finally, last winter, the U-2200s (almost 9 years old, in fact 8 year 10 month) Also the startin battery (That was like 8 year six month)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gel?..really?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman