cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator Problems

griffis5
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Generac NP-50G generator that starts and runs good. The problems i have is it's not powering up when i put a load on it. The AC fan will run and the microwave turns on but when i turn the AC to cool it turns off all power. I had my wife hold the throttle open on the generator and the AC turned on. Any suggestions?
12 REPLIES 12

TEXAS
Explorer
Explorer
The manual Mexico posted should be the one for your unit.I would go through the test listed. The red led is a sensing voltage sensing light. If it is turning off I would check for a loose connection or a sticking brush.Study the manual. You may save your self some money. Same manual a shop would use to check out your unit.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I like this way of troubleshooting better...

Generac Manufacturer's Troubleshooting Guide

griffis5
Explorer
Explorer
How do you fix an over voltage shutdown?

TEXAS
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know your unit. But sounds like you have an over voltage shutdown. Common on the large stand by units I worked on.I believe Generac also used it on the smaller standby units.Could also be on the RV units.

griffis5
Explorer
Explorer
My problem has changed. Now when i turn the generator on it has 178 volts instead of 124 volts and the red light is on the voltage regulator. Then the red light will go off and the voltage will go down to 6. Any suggestion?

griffis5
Explorer
Explorer
The generator is 5000 watts and nothing else is running when it try to turn on the AC compressor. This fifth wheel can from the factory with this generator built into it , so it should be the right size. My fifth wheel is a 2000 Fleetwood Wilderness 33.5G toy hauler. I just replaced the air filter, oil, oil filter, spark plug, exhaust gaskets and fuel filter before this all started.

2Macs
Explorer
Explorer
The generator probably has overload protection on and it shuts down generating electricity even though it continues to run. Generators less than 4000 Watts are vulnerable to this when they have overload protection.
Ed & Michele :C

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If this generator used to power the A/C,, And it no longer does so, there are two possible causes.

The A/C
The Generator

On the A/C make sure it works fine on shore power, MONITOR current using a clamp on ammeter on ONE of the power leads (White or black) that feed it.

NOTE: to access that wire you may need to open the power distribution panel, USE CAUTION dangerous voltages are present in this compartment.

ON the generator: Fuel supply is suspect #1,, Filter, Carb and Pump. Air cleaner is suspect #2

Susect #3 is..... Expensive
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest NOT using the rig to test the genset power- having someone mess with the throttle while powering the rig is a great way to burn up a lot of equipment.
This is really basic troubleshooting- measuring voltage and frequency from the genset through any transfer switches and to the load center.
-- Chris Bryant

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
What size is your generator? What else is running when you try to start the A/C?
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

griffis5
Explorer
Explorer
The AC works good when it is plugged into the normal power outlet and not into the generator.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
check your ac your compressor or relay might be shorting out causing itto shut off as a safety