cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator surges

twainharteartis
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1997 Damon Intruder with a 5500 Onan generator. It surges and I have tried to adjust the carb. It has two adjustment screws. I have gotten it to stop surging by adjusting the small ideal jet screw and then the larger screw at the back side of the carb. But then it will start surging again after a few seconds. I have replaced the sparkplugs and plug wires and changed the oil and oil filter. The air filter is clean. So is there a way to adjust this (BLANK BLANK) thing that I am missing?
19 REPLIES 19

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
"I don't think points have been used for well over a quarter of a century. Correct me if I am wrong"

Can you condense your points?

I see what you did there.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

twainharteartis
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
"I don't think points have been used for well over a quarter of a century. Correct me if I am wrong"

There are a lot of Motorhomes that are 25 years and older out there.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

twainharteartis
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
I don't think points have been used for well over a quarter of a century. Correct me if I am wrong.

The generator in question is a '97 (a fifth of a century). Not sure when they changed over. Mine's an '84.

My may have points and maybe not I will have to check.I think will replace the governor spring and if there are points (I am 69 so I know points) I will try replacing them. I pulled the carb apart and cleaned it and that fixed the rich problem. Use to surge all the time now only on big load runs fine no load and light load. There are three adjustments. One is were the governor rod is. the second is ideal speed jet and then there is is a big wheel in the back of the carb and that adjusts a jet not sure how that one works. There is one more the choke but that's adjusted and working fine.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
I don't think points have been used for well over a quarter of a century. Correct me if I am wrong.

The generator in question is a '97 (a fifth of a century). Not sure when they changed over. Mine's an '84.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer

twainharteartis
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
Last year on our first trip out dry camping, the generator started to surge under a load again (I had "fixed" it with Sea Foam the year before and it had been fine). It ran fine with no load. With the air conditioner on, it would do a rhythmic up and down but continue running...for a few hours. Then it stopped taking a load at all - it would surge a few times and stall. Still, it ran fine unloaded. I asked in the smokstak forums and someone suggested points. Sure enough, new points cured it. It runs better than it ever has. Not saying that's your issue, but if you haven't changed them in a while (or ever) you might want to look into it. That is, of course, if your model still has points. If not, I'm sorry about the 45 seconds you just wasted reading this ๐Ÿ™‚

Worth looking into thanks

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Last year on our first trip out dry camping, the generator started to surge under a load again (I had "fixed" it with Sea Foam the year before and it had been fine). It ran fine with no load. With the air conditioner on, it would do a rhythmic up and down but continue running...for a few hours. Then it stopped taking a load at all - it would surge a few times and stall. Still, it ran fine unloaded. I asked in the smokstak forums and someone suggested points. Sure enough, new points cured it. It runs better than it ever has. Not saying that's your issue, but if you haven't changed them in a while (or ever) you might want to look into it. That is, of course, if your model still has points. If not, I'm sorry about the 45 seconds you just wasted reading this ๐Ÿ™‚

twainharteartis
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Governor issue. Want to sound like a "pro"? The governor is "hunting". Proper governor action is an ideal point found between throttle reaction time and sensitivity to changes in load.

Governor induced hunting is diagnosed as steady speed unloaded all throttle positions (load must be disconnected and max speed-increase limited to 65 Hz) Steady speed until an "x" load is reached then the engine speed will oscillate up and then down, not down and then up. An analog Hz meter helps diagnose this. The vibrating reed type is the best. Have those also gone the way of the dinosaur?

I used to fix gumming issues with a cleaner called Berryman's Chemtool. Probably isn't the same stuff these days due to EPA. With engine not running I squirted it through the spray can straw onto governor and carburetor shafts with engine shut off. Moving the throttle back and forth by hand. Then I applied turbine oil or 3 in 1 oil for lube. Note the shut down engine notation repeat.

If the above did not work I then tore into the governor itself which is not recommended unless you are familiar with governors.

Boy, I'll bet Woodward gets a pretty penny for their electronic governors these days. They cost $500.00 33 years ago. Swapped out the power NPN transistor and driver on both of mine and they have trucked onward.
Thanks this sounds like good advice.

twainharteartis
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Governor issue. Want to sound like a "pro"? The governor is "hunting". Proper governor action is an ideal point found between throttle reaction time and sensitivity to changes in load.

Governor induced hunting is diagnosed as steady speed unloaded all throttle positions (load must be disconnected and max speed-increase limited to 65 Hz) Steady speed until an "x" load is reached then the engine speed will oscillate up and then down, not down and then up. An analog Hz meter helps diagnose this. The vibrating reed type is the best. Have those also gone the way of the dinosaur?

I used to fix gumming issues with a cleaner called Berryman's Chemtool. Probably isn't the same stuff these days due to EPA. With engine not running I squirted it through the spray can straw onto governor and carburetor shafts with engine shut off. Moving the throttle back and forth by hand. Then I applied turbine oil or 3 in 1 oil for lube. Note the shut down engine notation repeat.

If the above did not work I then tore into the governor itself which is not recommended unless you are familiar with governors.

Boy, I'll bet Woodward gets a pretty penny for their electronic governors these days. They cost $500.00 33 years ago. Swapped out the power NPN transistor and driver on both of mine and they have trucked onward.
Thanks this sounds like good advice.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

twainharteartis
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what is going on now. I start the generator and it starts fine . I plug in a fan still runs fine. So no load or light load runs good. The wife plugged in the vacuum cleaner and it starts surging. The wife doesn't know any better so keeps running the vacuum and burns it up. Under no load the ac plugs are running 123v. I didn't check it when it was surging didn't want to burn something up.

I need to add I took the carb out cleaned it the fuel pump wasn't working so I pulled it out it was clean inside and so is the filter the plunger was stuck I freed it up oiled it and the pump works great. I was still having trouble getting it to pull fuel from the rigs fuel tank I fix that by replacing the rubber fuel line that was cracked. Before i id all that it would run but surge all the time and smoked black (rich) smoke. Now it runs clean (no smoke) and runs good under no load and light loads.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Seafoam is the best snake oil I have ever used. Spray/pour Seafoan into carb until it chokes out let it set for 20 mins then start the eng again, it will smoke like mad run it until smoke stops. Repeat this again and the smoking will diminish. Then put other half a can in a gallon of gas and run it until empty. Put the genset under load and you can see how much your genset burns per Hr. If this doesn't cure your surging then you can try more drastic measures.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
My 6500 was surging under a load when I first got it. Someone (perhaps in this forum) suggested running a can of Seafoam mixed in a gallon of fuel through it. It worked great and hasn't surged since.

I know a lot of people think Seafoam is snake oil but it worked for me.