cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Haloview MC7611 viewing with polarized sun glasses

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, I am going to contact Haloview but first wanted to benefit from the knowledge here.

I purchased the Haloview MC7611 1080P High Definition 7" Digital Wired Backup Camera System, an extra camera and cables. I wanted wired for the resolution and frame rate with no interference. It is installed without use of the turn signal or reverse wires.

I have a perfectly good 3 camera system that came with the Tiffin and I intend to keep using that. I wanted to add the two new cameras to:

1. Provide a rear view well beyond the toad. Sometimes when in high merging areas I use the middle lane but must know when a semi is coming up on me so I can get in the right lane as they cannot use the left lane for passing.

2. This rear view does not go away when I use the turn signals.

3. The second new camera is to shoot sideways to help me stop the coach at exactly the right spot when getting gas. My fill is on the rear and requires this.

Here is the camera setup on the rear ladder:

Here is the dash setup mounted above my RVI tire patrol/brake system. I just toggle the select button to go to the gas pump view.

I am pleased with this system except for one thing. I went to get gas today and found a problem. With my polarized sun glasses, the Haloview is dark. I cannot make out anything on it. The original Tiffin camera looks fine as well as the RVI system. With regular non-shades I can see the Haloview fine. The same Haloview problem occurs for my wife's polarized sun glasses. We do not have cheap online prescription sunglasses, both of these are expensive and from the eye Dr's office. We need polarized for our boat use on the water.

This is how it looks:

The brightness is set to 100% and auto dim is off. Changing the screen tilt has no effect.

Now for the weird part. If I am using the shades and turn my head 90 degrees, I see the Haloview fine:

Have any of you noticed this effect with camera screens or could it be a Haloview problem?

thanks for any ideas,
Fred
2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA
5 REPLIES 5

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all,

I know I need polarized out on the water. Are they not particularly useful for highway driving?

Wouldn't you expect the polarization direction to be standardized in such an important application? For example, my flat screen monitors I'm using now look fine with the polarized sun glasses, but get dark when I tilt my head over. That is the opposite of the Haloview. Perhaps they are using a generic screen that is normally vertical for fish finders or something.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Typical problem with polarized lenses. You will have the same problems with most led-type screens, and some other types. Solution is to wear non-polarized lenses.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
fred42 wrote:
Hello all, I am going to contact Haloview but first wanted to benefit from the knowledge here.

I purchased the Haloview MC7611 1080P High Definition 7" Digital Wired Backup Camera System, an extra camera and cables. I wanted wired for the resolution and frame rate with no interference. It is installed without use of the turn signal or reverse wires.

I have a perfectly good 3 camera system that came with the Tiffin and I intend to keep using that. I wanted to add the two new cameras to:

1. Provide a rear view well beyond the toad. Sometimes when in high merging areas I use the middle lane but must know when a semi is coming up on me so I can get in the right lane as they cannot use the left lane for passing.

2. This rear view does not go away when I use the turn signals.

3. The second new camera is to shoot sideways to help me stop the coach at exactly the right spot when getting gas. My fill is on the rear and requires this.

Here is the camera setup on the rear ladder:

Here is the dash setup mounted above my RVI tire patrol/brake system. I just toggle the select button to go to the gas pump view.

I am pleased with this system except for one thing. I went to get gas today and found a problem. With my polarized sun glasses, the Haloview is dark. I cannot make out anything on it. The original Tiffin camera looks fine as well as the RVI system. With regular non-shades I can see the Haloview fine. The same Haloview problem occurs for my wife's polarized sun glasses. We do not have cheap online prescription sunglasses, both of these are expensive and from the eye Dr's office. We need polarized for our boat use on the water.

This is how it looks:

The brightness is set to 100% and auto dim is off. Changing the screen tilt has no effect.

Now for the weird part. If I am using the shades and turn my head 90 degrees, I see the Haloview fine:

Have any of you noticed this effect with camera screens or could it be a Haloview problem?

thanks for any ideas,
Fred

I don't have the same equipment but I am familiar with the problem. when I was training for my pilot's certificate I had the same issue...the glass panel was too dark to see. the problem is the polarized lens. I solved it by getting a pair of sunglasses without the polarized lens. a little pricey but worth it. in my case I only need the glasses to read. maybe your eye doc can write a script for non-polarized glasses?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
LCD screens use a crystalline liquid and polarizing filters. Therefore viewing can be difficult when you use polarized glasses of the opposite polarization.

Try turning the screen 90 degrees - but that's not a long term fix.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
I think that you have just answered your own question "Now for the weird part. If I am using the shades and turn my head 90 degrees, I see the Haloview fine:"
I would guess that the Haloview screen is also polarized and when the 2 polarized lenses cancel the view and the glare.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.