cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hard start capacitor

cliffy49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have this posted on another forum and don't seem to be getting any answers to the question.

Okay guys, my knowledge of electricity does not even make me dangerous. I have been doing a lot of reading in regards to getting a generator for my toy hauler and came across the term "Hard start capacitor". From what I could gather this works the same as a soft start kit.

If that is true, why would you use one versus the other. The only reason I can find after doing very limited research is that the soft start kit is $300 versus the $10-$15 for the capacitor. If some one could please explain the difference and also the pros and cons for each, I would greatly appreciate it.

Please take it easy on me, as I stated I know nothing about electricity other than don't stick a butter knife in the wall outlet. Thanks for all your help.
cliffy49
2016 F150 Ecoboost & max tow (Gone)
2021 Silverado Custom 2500HD
2018 Catalina TH26 Toy hauler
19 REPLIES 19

red31
Explorer
Explorer
Blacklane wrote:
My Coleman Mach air conditioner came with a hard-start capacitor already installed.

I replaced it with a soft-starter with good results. I can run my air conditioner using a modest generator, but I rarely do. It also reduced the clunking sound when the compressor first starts, which is nice.

Amazed at the reduction in compressor start noise with the micro-air.
waiting on hot weather to test with generator.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Mike134 wrote:
short course about motors.
When starting they initially draw up to 6 times the running current for a brief second then come up to full speed and drops to the running current. That is to much for a small generator so the motor doesn't start. The $300 soft starter slowly speeds the motor up allowing a small generator to carry the load.

The $15 capacitor does nothing in this application.

Getting just a wee bit technical ... a "soft starter" temporarily switches a current limiting resistor inline (series) with the motor windings. It then removes the resistor after a few seconds (deluxe models may monitor the current and keep the resistor in the circuit until the current drops below a certain value).

Blacklane
Explorer
Explorer
My Coleman Mach air conditioner came with a hard-start capacitor already installed.

I replaced it with a soft-starter with good results. I can run my air conditioner using a modest generator, but I rarely do. It also reduced the clunking sound when the compressor first starts, which is nice.

The two technologies are totally different. The hard-start capacitor stores electrical energy which it then releases into the compressor start winding on start-up. The soft-starters, such as Easy Start, work by limiting the current to the main (run) winding during start-up and allowing the current to ramp-up over a quarter of a second or so. The result is far less in-rush current and a smooth start.

As stated, there is much more posted here if you do a search for it.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
short course about motors.
When starting they initially draw up to 6 times the running current for a brief second then come up to full speed and drops to the running current. That is to much for a small generator so the motor doesn't start. the $300 soft starter slowly speeds the motor up allowing a small generator to carry the load.
The $15 capacitor does nothing in this application.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
There are 3 pages of posts containing 'hard start', if you care to peruse them.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman