cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Have lots of solar? Sharp has an A/C for you

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Sharp Japan is going to start selling a DC powered air conditioning unit this fall and plans to bring more DC powered products to the consumer market.

The original article is in Japanese - Google is mildly successful and mildly amusing with the machine translation.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
3 REPLIES 3

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Compared to ammonia efficiency freon is a joke. But fluorocarbons tend to lubricate, ammonia tends to irritate seals and gaskets. A three hundred watt ammonia unit would transfer more BTU than a 700 watt freon A/C. I tend to stay in whatever section of the rig I choose to stay in. I don't run from end to end. 10.7 EER LG window units work great at the expense of the interior space they rob. I insulated the bedroom door and the rig had closed cell foam shot into the ceiling and walls (overhead and bulkheads) The Crown has 2" space clearance so twenty gallons of foam were misused in treating the rig. Don't forget the deck and the front end. I ran 1-1/2" tubing for the electrical from the front to the mid bay engine then to the generator (space) and batteries. Spare six gauge 12, 18 and six conductor 18-gauge wires just in case. Then there is the 2" liquid-tite tubing running under the chassis. It too has tons of spare wires.

Saving 10% on energy conversion loss interests me. But I know intuitively what's coming regarding specialty construction pricing. That does not interest me. A powerful DC BRUSHLESS motor? I doan theeng so...

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
That's really nothing new. Big companies like Mitsubishi have been using it for years in their high efficiency heat pumps. They call it "Inverter technology" :R

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
DC or AC, it's still going to require a lot of power.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman