cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP!! broken drain pipe in bathroom

goowah
Explorer
Explorer
On our first camping trip with our used 2011 Coachmen Freedom express I found water under the bathroom sink. Drain pipe was broken off and unlike the ones in all my houses....the drain pipe is cemented to the bottom of the sink. Tried to quick-set glue jobs but no luck. I guess I am too old to hold it firmly together for even 1 minute while glue sets (fighting gravity all the while)...

There are no threads on the bottom of the bathroom sink so how do I get the hold drain pipe off and where do I find replacement drain pipe??

Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.

7 REPLIES 7

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Can you use a 2x4 and a spare tire jack to hold it up overnight?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The sink drain should be a common 1.25 inch bathroom sink drain but...

of all the adheasives I have used the following are what I'd try

First some Plumbers GOOP (most any flavor will do but let's use plumbers) apply a generous bead to the bottom of the sink and press the pipe onto it.

Then use a good tape, Gorilla tape for example, to hold it in place not for one mintue, but overnight at least.

That should do it.

You may wish to use quite a bit of tape. Or try this

Two long strips of tape attach to the pipe as far down as you can by using a 3rd strip so that the two long strips form "Wings" and the shorter strip wraps around the pipe.

The long strips then attach to the bottom of the sink.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Push come to shove you will have to change the sink, but I would remove the old one and get a good look at it first. 🙂
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
There is probably short stub on the under side of the sink drain hole. When the sink is installed there is an extension that comes with the sink that slips over stub and is glued on with ABS cement. The sink may have also came with the extension already attached. I have seen them both ways at my local RV dealers.

If it slipped off because it was improperly glued clean up the stub and extension and use abs cement. If broken off from the sink you might try to see if you can use abs cement to reattach it otherwise you might just have to replace the sink and extension with a new ones.

BobandShaz
Explorer
Explorer
kzspree320 wrote:
This is an instance where one picture could be worth a thousand words in helping us to visualize exactly how and where the pipe is broken. Can you post a cell phone picture? Broken off completely or cracked?

X2
Bob and Sharon

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
This is an instance where one picture could be worth a thousand words in helping us to visualize exactly how and where the pipe is broken. Can you post a cell phone picture? Broken off completely or cracked?

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II
I suppose you could remove the sink, turn it upside down, and glue a replacement pipe on. As for a replacement pipe, I would assume a hardware or home improvement store would stock the right pipe or one that would work.

Finally, you could look into replacing the sink with a better quality sink that has a more conventional connection arrangement.
Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow