cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Home made Jumper cable question

path1
Explorer
Explorer
The clamps on my old jumper cables were shot so I ordered new ones. When the new clamps arrived I cut off old ones and was disappointed to see the wire in my old cables were so small. My old wires were about 16 gauge and about 8 strands. And only about 8 feet long. So I looked at getting new cables and I see a "good" set of cables aren't cheap.

Yesterday at a surplus metal store I saw some type of cable (alum) I think, made up of maybe size 14 or 12 and about 10 or 12 strands making up the cable. Being I already have new clamps for the ends, I was thinking about getting the cable. I could slide new cable into a hose. I would make them long enough so I could park in back of somebody's car and reach their battery from mine. Cable is flexible enough.

Including the clamps about $60.00 total into project for what I think will be nice set of cables.

But just sounds to easy....and anything elec I always double check because elec not one of my better subjects.

Please tell me what I'm getting ready to screw up?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
15 REPLIES 15

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Good job on a diy solution that fits your needs.

Not sure where you looked online but aluminum jumper cables are really cheap even in massive gauges.

Pure copper cables on the other hand, the prices remind me of the days when copper was considered valuable.

The arm chair attorney in me won't jump anyone elses' vehicle, too much liability if someone was injured or property damaged.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed