cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Champion 3500/4000 Generator won't run AC unit?

gillman
Explorer
Explorer
Need some advice. Many years back, we had a travel trailer and I purchased one of these low-cost gensets. It was a little loud but sure ran the 13,500 BTU AC unit and other little items in the camper just fine. I used it extensively after Hurricane Ike for power to the house as well. I finally just wore it out so I decided I would buy another one just like it and simply leave it in the box until I needed it. (I did pull it out and put oil in it but never started it - didn't want gas in it...). This was probably 4 years ago so it has just been sitting in my shop.

A few weeks back, we lost power at home so I thought "well, we can sleep in the 5th wheel tonight and at least have Air Conditioning". I went to the shop and gassed up/powered up the Champion generator (started very easy). The 5th wheel has a 15,000 BTU Dometic AC unit but the generator is still within the specs to handle the bigger unit. I let the generator run for 5 to 10 minutes or so and plugged in the RV and flipped the switch for 120v. (It has a 30 amp RV plug on it). When I turned the thermostat on inside the 5th Wheel, it bogged down the generator so much (almost dying due to the load), that I quickly turned off the Thermostat as I was worried about hurting the AC unit. I tried it again a few minutes later with the same result so I have not messed with it since.

I have not contacted Champion yet. There is a "800" support line to call and I likely will but I thought I would ask some of you your thoughts. While the unit is "brand new" from a running point of view, it is now certainly out of any warranty period I am sure from Champion's point of view.

The AC unit is just fine when plugged into shore power.

Thoughts on this generator and why it would do this? In hind sight, I should have tried it out when I first brought it home but I didn't want carburetor issues even though I use Stabil in all my small engines.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
John and Patti
Chevy 2500 HD / Duramax/Allison
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
http://www.painthorsefarm.com
19 REPLIES 19

gillman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks much!

I will plan to change the oil ASAP.

John
John and Patti

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely change the oil after running for the first few hours. I believe the manual says 8 hours, but make sure it gets changed after this little episode.

I'm kinda curious how big a load was actually running from it, when all it did was bog down. Champ rocks!

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like you now broke in that engine like you stole it!!! Lol.

Make sure you change the oil asap.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update.

gillman
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, the issue is resolved!!! Thank you all that suggested it was likely other items trying to start/run at the same time as the AC. I have no way to guarantee other items were running back when I had the issue (we have been camping since and I turned off the water heater when we headed home) but I am 99.9% sure it was likely the Water Heater.

I flipped all the other breakers and started the AC on the Champion Generator with barely a difference in the generator. I ran it or over an hour and it was perfect.

Thanks again!

John
John and Patti

gillman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input. I plan to try it tonight and will ensure all the other items are turned off. I have a very strong feeling that you are all correct in that regard.

Thanks again and I will report back!
John and Patti

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
I see it as a NON ISSUE. You had too many parasitic loads on the genny to start your ac..
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
He said he both put oil in it and it has not had gas in it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
If it has been sitting for 4 years and was run once and not stored properly, then the carburetor is probably varnished with the old gas. your symptoms are exactly what I would expect if the main fuel jet was restricted at all.

Either clean it yourself or take it to a small engine shop.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
Turn all the 120V breakers off except for the A/C then try it. That genny should run it.

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Champion 3100 to run my 15k BTU AC and never had any issues. Like previously stated some other big draw things must have been on at the same time. I know I can run my TV and lights plus charge my batteries while the AC is running.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
The Champ should chew through this load with no difficulty. Yes, you may need to monitor other loads, but the 3500/4000 has whopping surge capability and your AC isn't even in rotor lock yet.

I would not hesitate to call Champion tech support. They probably won't hand you a free replacement, but once you troubleshoot here, isolate extra loads, and if it still isn't working, then you should tell Champion. These simple units are designed to sit around for years until there's an emergency and then start on the first or second pull and perform perfectly.

Er, did you put oil in it?

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
gillman wrote:
I am not sure how to disable the converter. Is that one of the breakers?
That's likely, yes.

When you first plugged in to the gen, did it 'bog' or hesitate at all, like something else was on? Which outlet are you using?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Champion 3500/4000 and it will run my 15K AC. I turned off everything but the converter, but the battery was fully charged. Ran it for about 2 hours fine just to test it before hurricane season. It was about 90 degrees at the time. I just turn off the fuel supply to run all gas out of the carb on my small engines that will be sitting a while. Never a problem.

You should be able to run the AC. It could be that the starting capacitor in your AC is bad. This could stop the generator but the shore problem would have no problem overcoming it. It could also be a problem with the generator. Test the generator by running hair dryers and other high draw appliances.