cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda 2000i Carb Job With Photos Must Read!!!!!

AISURFFISH
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to share a bit of my time and knowledge of the Honda 2000 I generator. I know that this time of year we all want to get things started and dont want to have the hassle of needing our Honda and having it not work. Here is a 30 minute fix up that will get you going.
This is a simple Carb cleaning and maintenance.
First empty old fuel by tilting the genny over and getting all of the old stuff out of there.

First remove the side panel

Then remove the Air Cleaner cover. one flat head screw.

Using an 8mm socket remove the 2 nuts and 1 bolt.

Once the hardware is removed pull off the air clean box, intake manifold and the breather tube. These 3 parts can be removed in one big piece. You can see where the breather tube goes in photo below.

The breather tube runs into the engine body here.

All 3 parts removed and set aside.

First remove the fuel line.
Slide the Carb off of the two bolts that will remain in the block of the engine. I like to leave the cable attached. This is the Eco Throttle. If you remove it you will have a spring shoot off and if you do manage to find it you most likely won't figure out how to put it back without a trip to a Honda dealer. It's just easier to leave on.

Front side of Carb.

Engine with the parts removed. This is a good time to drain the oil and fill it back up.

These photos show the position of the vent tubes so you can see where they are form replacing. Go ahead and remove the tubes now. Using a 10mm socket remover the float bowl nut. It's the Brass one seen above in the middle of the float bowl.

You can now see the float. The float pivots on a pin it is simply slid out for removal of the float. The float moves up and down and shuts off the fuel to the bowl. The bowl will most likely show signs of rust and will need a good cleaning. There is an o-ring gasket there, you can usually reuse this gasket.

Here the float have been removed.

The main jet is in the tube shown. Use a skinny screw driver and remove the jet and 2 parts will fall out. These are almost always full of gunk. Use a Carb cleaner in a can and blow these parts out really good. Take extra time this is the heart of the Carb.

These are how the parts go back in. Order and direction is important.

At this point use the carb cleaner and spray all of the inner parts of the float area and spray ino any holes you see. Spray into the holes while moving throttle plates and choke plates. You basically want to exercise all moving parts and get the cleaner into everywhere.
At this point put everything back together on the carb in reverse order and put the vents tubes back on.
Slide the Carb back onto the 2 bolts and then run the vent tubes back into the Genset case. As shown below.

Shown about is the Carb back on with the tubes re-run.

These photos show the bolts going back in and the final steps to getting it back to running order.

At this point you can change the plug and give her a pull!!!

I hope this has been informative.

To those of you that will be attending the Mid Atlantic Truck Camper Rally Just ask and I can walk you though this in no time. And maybe throw in a quick seminar if enough folks are interested in seeing it done.
2017 F350 6.2L Crew Cab

Arctic Fox 990 2021 TORK-LIFT FAST GUNS AND SUPER HITCH
COOLER RACK OFF THE FRONT ALWAYS FULL OF FISHING RODS TICA TO BE EXACT

235 REPLIES 235

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have never heard of the Honda 2000 having a valve issue before. Do you have any idea as to the cause?

Personally, my only problem has been from pouring water in the Honda from my fuel cans (condensation). Over the past six years, I have done this several times. I just dump the tank, refill and good to go.

Bigfootford pointed out my Honda was running a bit rough, and I have noticed it is one or two pulls of the rope harder to start. Maybe it is time I gave the Carb a little TLC.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

scootsk
Explorer III
Explorer III
Next time it happens perhaps I will. Daylight savings time is over, had to finish the project before dark.
Don, Kathleen
2014 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.7 CTD/AISIN
2019 Montana 3791 Fifth Wheel

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
scootsk wrote:
I wanted to write in reference to EU2000 generators. I purchased the EU2000 and companion in August. Just in time for the hurricane and no lights for 3 days. The both performed beautifully. After the storm, I let them sit for two months. I went to start them this week and they wouldn't start. I came to RV net and found this thread. I cleaned the both carbs, changed the fuel. The first started right up, the other no such luck.

Today Long Island was 58 degrees, perfect weather for troubleshooting the generator. I pulled the carb again and sprayed the sh*t out of it. Put it back together nothing. Pulled the carb spray cleaner and compressed air, put it back together nothing. I picked up the gennie and held it in front of my French doors and was going to throw it through. Cooler heads prevailed.

I did a search and saw that EU2000i gennies are notorious for stuck intake valves. Pulled the plug put in my finger pulled the cord, NO COMPRESION!! Time to split the case and pull the valve cover on my 4 month old gennie. Lo and behold the intake valve is frozen. I pulled the rocker and started tapping the valve with a punch. I got it to start moving, sprayed it with carb cleaner and kept working it until it moved freely. Put ti all back together. Pulled the cord, started one pull!! Yahoo--I wanted everyone to know this in case they came across the same problems after cleaning the carb..

When you find out how to fix a problem, you're supposed to include pictures.:)
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
haven't heard about any intake valve issue with the Yamaha though.
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

scootsk
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wanted to write in reference to EU2000 generators. I purchased the EU2000 and companion in August. Just in time for the hurricane and no lights for 3 days. The both performed beautifully. After the storm, I let them sit for two months. I went to start them this week and they wouldn't start. I came to RV net and found this thread. I cleaned the both carbs, changed the fuel. The first started right up, the other no such luck.

Today Long Island was 58 degrees, perfect weather for troubleshooting the generator. I pulled the carb again and sprayed the sh*t out of it. Put it back together nothing. Pulled the carb spray cleaner and compressed air, put it back together nothing. I picked up the gennie and held it in front of my French doors and was going to throw it through. Cooler heads prevailed.

I did a search and saw that EU2000i gennies are notorious for stuck intake valves. Pulled the plug put in my finger pulled the cord, NO COMPRESION!! Time to split the case and pull the valve cover on my 4 month old gennie. Lo and behold the intake valve is frozen. I pulled the rocker and started tapping the valve with a punch. I got it to start moving, sprayed it with carb cleaner and kept working it until it moved freely. Put ti all back together. Pulled the cord, started one pull!! Yahoo--I wanted everyone to know this in case they came across the same problems after cleaning the carb..
Don, Kathleen
2014 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.7 CTD/AISIN
2019 Montana 3791 Fifth Wheel

jblauert
Explorer
Explorer
popeye59 wrote:
I don't have a Honda generator, but I have dealt with those poorly designed nuts in plastic before. If you can gain access to it, try wedging a small jewelers type screwdriver in alongside the nut. Put some epoxy on the nut when you reassemble to help keep it from happening again.

Unfortunately, it is pretty rounded at this point. I have managed to jam 2 screw drivers in there and it still spins ... of course the nut is buried deep in a hole making it impossible to just grab with pliers or something. Probably will not mess with it before our next trip, but I may try again next month

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a Honda generator, but I have dealt with those poorly designed nuts in plastic before. If you can gain access to it, try wedging a small jewelers type screwdriver in alongside the nut. Put some epoxy on the nut when you reassemble to help keep it from happening again.
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

jblauert
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a well-used one of these last year. I actually was trying to take it completely apart to clean it (very dirty) but one of the long bolts on the bottom just spins the nut pressed into the plastic, so I gave up (any suggestions on breaking that free?). Happened upon this great write-up and decided to at least check out the carb.

Use it a few times camping with a couple problems. Shut off once with the low oil light on ... did not seem low, but added a bit and have since changed it and not had this happen again (may have just been too dirty?).
And it seems to surge/lope? when I turn the Eco on. I saw mention of this here a couple times, but no real explanation for cause and solution.

So pulled the carb apart today and was actually surprised by how clean the carb was considering how dirty the rest it. Air filter was still clean from a few months ago. I found the easiest way to get the emulsion tube out is to push it down from the venturi and then a couple taps into my hand. Looked clean, but sprayed it down with carb cleaner and air anyway.

First time I put it together found I had the bowl on backwards (how is it not marked?)
Second time I put it together and would not start ... realized I forgot to hook the fuel line back up ... oops.
Third time I put it together, started after 2-3 pulls.

Put it on Eco and still have the surging. I can see the black tab moving back and forth and I am not even sure it is making contact with the black throttle screw. With a screw driver I held the tab to the left and the idle came way down when I release it the rpm jumped WAY up. When I put the screw driver between the screw and tab the rpms were still surging a bit at the higher RPMs. When I turn the Eco off I think I can barely hear a little surging still.

Is the throttle electronic?
What is causing the surging? Would a leaking gasket (although they looked fine)? My float bowl o-ring was pretty flat (probably should replace it) ... could that be the problem?

I do not think I noticed a difference between the running before and after my cleaning ... so wondering if there is still something I am over looking.

I have taken apart a few ATV and MC carbs, but this electronic Eco thing is new to me.

Also, what is that tiny screw with the tab on it that you can only turn about 1/4 turn behind the black throttle(?) screw?

Thanks for any suggestions.

BradP
Explorer
Explorer
This is exactly why this RV site is so valuable. Cant thank you enough Ron. Im curious, are you a mechanic, did you learn this thru trial and error or is there a book that helped you?

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Almostthere wrote:
Good review and procedure for cleaning carb jets on Honda. However, how do you get the jet out if it does not "fall" out once the threaded plug is removed. I gently tried to use a welding tip cleaner to get it to drop out.........no success. Obviously you need to be careful not to disrupt the orifice in the jet.

quote=tomatillo on 07/02/11 01:39am

HELP -- I removed eco throttle control before reading this post and sticky!

How else are you going to soak the carb!!? That thing has to come off, of course. I even have an online manual - after hours of searching -- and it mentions nothing about how that blasted thing goes back on!

I used my compressed air, and blew into the various fuel pickup holes in the float bowl. I blocked the various other fuel outlets in the venturi area with my hand. The Jet popped out. Be careful when you do this...You could loose the jet.

I did not soak my carb. I just used spray carb cleaner and brake cleaner.

As for the re-install of the throttle control I just put it back on.

If you are still having trouble maybe someone can help ya...

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

tomatillo
Explorer
Explorer
HELP -- I removed eco throttle control before reading this post and sticky!

How else are you going to soak the carb!!? That thing has to come off, of course. I even have an online manual - after hours of searching -- and it mentions nothing about how that blasted thing goes back on!

http://issuu.com/eacf/docs/honda-eu1000i-service-manual

ARRRGGGGHHHHH!!

HELP!!!!

Thanks,

Tom

Almostthere
Explorer
Explorer
Good review and procedure for cleaning carb jets on Honda. However, how do you get the jet out if it does not "fall" out once the threaded plug is removed. I gently tried to use a welding tip cleaner to get it to drop out.........no success. Obviously you need to be careful not to disrupt the orifice in the jet.
Dan and Delores Ward
Barboursville, WV
2010 Montanna
2009 Chevy Silverado 2500
Mountain Bike
Travel Scoot

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
brbo wrote:
Not this brand but similar I just glued it to the case and ran the wire into plug access. I got it more to monitor eng hours but tach is handy too.

http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/index.php
Thanks for the link.

Heres a clicky:
http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/index.php

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

cosmo
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know if there is a similar post to this one for servicing the carb. on a Yamaha 2000W generator? thanks
2003 Jayco Kiwi 23B
2009 Chevy K2500HD ext. cab 6.0L
Dave,Lori,Nick+Josh(twins)
PROUD to be a volunteer fireman since 1993

xaugievike
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to echo the OP's caution about removing the eco throttle mechanism from the top of the carb.

I did a carb clean out tonight and got cocky about taking the eco off.....and out shot that little spring he mentioned. Fortunately I found it and was able to get it back on....but I got lucky!

Great write up. Thanks.
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500hd DRW.
Pulling Keystone Cougar 325SRX

A buddy and I started a blog - you can read it here:
http://twoguyscamping.blogspot.com