cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda EU 2000 ability = impressive

JamesJudasPries
Explorer
Explorer
I just did a test of the capabilities of my generator. I'm very impressed.

It ran the AC on high, PD9145 at full power output, and ran my 3 way fridge on AC. No overload light!

RPMs must have been near max though, but it held
23 REPLIES 23

JamesJudasPries
Explorer
Explorer
stevenal wrote:
JamesJudasPriest,

What brand/size AC do you run?

Im not sure to be honest. Its a dometic duotherm, on my class b 1990 Dodge rv.

1 day after full professional repaint!

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
3 tons wrote:
On our last outing in the hot Nevada desert at 7,400' the Honda wouldn't run the 11kbtu AC with the converter being on...

No kidding, -3% power loss for every 1000 feet above sea level.
So 7500 is 7.5 X 3 = 22.5% less power.... Not factoring in hot temps.
That is 1240 watts running or 1550 watts surge. Add in anything over 80 degrees and it's even less.

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
I have been lead to believe that it would take about 2,700 watts of surge to start a 13,500 AC and certainly a Honda 2000 or Yahama 2000 would not have 2,700 watts of surge. I tried to run my 13,500 AC using my Honda 2000 and it, indeed, would not start and the Honda died. However, we live at 5,000+ feet altitude and it was a pretty hot day. I was not upset at the Honda not being able to run the AC as I never thought it would, just wanted to find out for myself. However, when I parallel the old 20 with the Companion 2000, it starts and runs the AC just fine. I suppose that at lower altitude, somewhat lower temps and with some playing around with the AC, a 2000 would run the AC, but not here at altitude and higher temps. I really like my Hondas, but I also liked my friend's Yahama but they are both pretty expensive compared to the other smaller gens out there.
John A. Lichty

stevenal
Nomad II
Nomad II
JamesJudasPriest,

What brand/size AC do you run?
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
On our last outing in the hot Nevada desert at 7,400' the Honda wouldn't run the 11kbtu AC with the converter being on...

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
Huntindog wrote:

What amazes me, is that is is a very old design. I believe it was the first to market and has been in continuous production without any major upgrades... And yet the "new" competition still can't beat it.
This is one thing that they got right the first time.

X2 on that! I've had my eu2000i for a bit over 12 years. For it to not have been leapfrogged by newer technology is very unusual.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
road-runner wrote:
If it has the " the best surge capability of any inverter genset in this class" then how do you explain it not running a (13.5) A/C when others will....
Perhaps you've already done this, if you don't run the comparison test at the same time, same place, with the same air conditioner, the results don't have a whole lot of value. Altitude, atmospheric conditions, and the make/model of air conditioner are all variables that need to be controlled for a valid conclusion. I have an eu2000i, and I and others on the forum from time to time say the 30 minute 2,000 VA capability is bunk. Maybe at sea level on a cold day, but in real world conditions of mild temps and a few hundred feet of altitude, my observation is that they max out at about 1,900 VA, and won't produce 2,000 VA for any period of time greater than a few seconds. That doesn't mean I'm down on the eu2000i. I haven't heard of a 2,000 VA generator that's better, and the eu2000i seems to be head-and-shoulders above the other 2,000 VA gens in load starting capability.
I have the little Hondas.. They are the standard that all others try to match.
What amazes me, is that is is a very old design. I believe it was the first to market and has been in continuous production without any major upgrades... And yet the "new" competition still can't beat it.
This is one thing that they got right the first time.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it has the " the best surge capability of any inverter genset in this class" then how do you explain it not running a (13.5) A/C when others will....
Perhaps you've already done this, if you don't run the comparison test at the same time, same place, with the same air conditioner, the results don't have a whole lot of value. Altitude, atmospheric conditions, and the make/model of air conditioner are all variables that need to be controlled for a valid conclusion. I have an eu2000i, and I and others on the forum from time to time say the 30 minute 2,000 VA capability is bunk. Maybe at sea level on a cold day, but in real world conditions of mild temps and a few hundred feet of altitude, my observation is that they max out at about 1,900 VA, and won't produce 2,000 VA for any period of time greater than a few seconds. That doesn't mean I'm down on the eu2000i. I haven't heard of a 2,000 VA generator that's better, and the eu2000i seems to be head-and-shoulders above the other 2,000 VA gens in load starting capability.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
What brand and model was the "other"?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
If it has the " the best surge capability of any inverter genset in this class" then how do you explain it not running a (13.5) A/C when others will..... Did you exclude the cheap ones to establish the 'class' or limit the class to only ones with a highly specific power rating or _____.
Anyway this is sounding too much like people in love with a brand, as opposed to buying a tool with pros and cons which is where I am coming from.

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
horton333 wrote:
I made a comparison to another, cheaper, unit which will run an A/C reliably. Do you have any comment on that observation? You have distorted what I said with regards to Honda, including insulting me with comments I am "hypocritical". Where did I suggest they misrepresented their capacity?

You said, and I quote - "The low surge rating is demonstrated by not being able to run an A/C ..."

Yes, a clear misrepresentation of the facts. Honda's EU2000i features the best surge capability of any inverter genset in this class yet Honda makes no claim of any kind that it will. And now you're complaining that the reason is the EU2000i doesn't offer surge capability to run an A/C unit? You bet - hypocritical. :S
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
It is the same class of generic 2 k unit (rated 1,800 watts continuous), and was only one third the price. It is a direct competitor, but perhaps I should not be comparing such a cheap unit to the Honda......at least not on points where it is better.

Jacksons
Explorer
Explorer
the older unit you "compared o you said had a 2200 watt capa. thats 10% higher than the honda which is 2000, you are comparing apples to oranges
2002 Rockwood 8272s
2005 Yukon xl Denali 6.0
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
I made a comparison to another, cheaper, unit which will run an A/C reliably. Do you have any comment on that observation?
You have distorted what I said with regards to Honda, including insulting me with comments I am "hypocritical". Where did I suggest they misrepresented their capacity?