cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hooking up a UK RV in USA

Mdmheath
Explorer
Explorer
I'm shipping my Autocruise Jazz RV from UK to USA for a 6 month holiday in 2015.
In UK I hook up using a standard cable used across Europe for 220 or 240V.

Can I get a cable or an adaptor that will allow me to hook up my UK RV to a 110V USA RV site post? If so, will my 12V lights work OK?

Secondly, can it get a gas bottle and adaptor pipe for my gas supply? In UK I use 6 kg propane bottles.

Looking forward to my trip !

Mick
43 REPLIES 43

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
camperpaul wrote:
Martyn wrote:

... back when I used to travel Europe (40 to 50 years ago) I came across a lot of 110/120. Times change ๐Ÿ™‚

Did you spend a lot of time on US military bases?

Nope - I'm English. ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Martyn wrote:

... back when I used to travel Europe (40 to 50 years ago) I came across a lot of 110/120. Times change ๐Ÿ™‚

Did you spend a lot of time on US military bases?
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

Mdmheath
Explorer
Explorer
Just got confirmation from the electrics manufacturer - confirming there's a little internal switch for 110V.
Getting closer ๐Ÿ™‚
I'm finding some great sites for trip information - Great Road Trip, National Parks, Recreation. Glad to see stuff about dispersed camping too.

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
Martyn wrote:

That's pretty neat. Probably because of the closeness of mainland Europe and all of their 110v systems. Nice to see a proactive manufacturer! ๐Ÿ™‚

Most if not all of "mainland Europe" also uses 220-240VAC 50Hz.

World voltage and frequency list

True now, but back when I used to travel Europe (40 to 50 years ago) I came across a lot of 110/120. Times change ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
After a cursory review, I don't see anywhere where it says the EC400 PSU can accept 110V to 120V AC for input voltage, even for only charging the leisure (coach/house) battery. Just because there is an adapter does not mean it can be used.

http://sargentshop.co.uk/Technical-Data/Self-Help/EC400-/-EC450-Power-Control-System

EC400 System Instructions:
http://www.sargentltd.co.uk/EC400%20System%20Instructions%20Issue%202.pdf

EC400/450 Dealer Technical Document:
http://www.sargentltd.co.uk/EC400%20Dealer%20Tech%20Guide.pdf
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

Mdmheath
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
If you get here and find you need an additional adapter just give a shout out and someone will set you up.

Be sure to investigate phones and internet as you will not want to pay international roaming charges depending on your plan.

British-teen-gets-socked-with-6000-cell-bill-after-Big-Apple-trip_id45256

I'm going to bring my (unlocked) iPhone and iPad. In the US I'll get a contract with AT & T who've been offering advice.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If you get here and find you need an additional adapter just give a shout out and someone will set you up.

Be sure to investigate phones and internet as you will not want to pay international roaming charges depending on your plan.

British-teen-gets-socked-with-6000-cell-bill-after-Big-Apple-trip_id45256

Mdmheath
Explorer
Explorer
gotsmart wrote:
Question for the OP. The below quote is in the literature. Does your caravan have a 16 amp or less power supply (PSU)? I ask because I keep finding these.

It is possible that the 230V mains electrical equipment may not all operate simultaneously. A typical UK motorhome site mains hook up point provides a maximum output of 10 amps and on some continental sites the available output may be as low as 5 amps.

for the electricians: the OP's RV may very well use a 230V AC 16 amp setup.

download and open in Acrobat Reader - go to PDF page 51 (rotate clockwise)
http://assets.swiftgroup.co.uk/swift-group/handbooks/2013%20Owners%20Handbooks/2013%20Van%20Conversi...

download and open in Acrobat Reader - go to PDF page 61 (rotate clockwise)
http://assets.swiftgroup.co.uk/swift-group/handbooks/2013%20Technical%20Handbooks/2013%20Van%20Conve...

The manual for my vehicle is the one you've provided a link to. I have the EC400 PSU. It says that it delivers 25 amps when plugged into 230V but only 20 amps can be used by the leisure load - the other 5 amps is used to recharge the leisure battery.

I do have an adaptor that lets me plug my hook up cable male end into a female wired to a UK 3 pin 240 v household plug - I use this to charge the van leisure battery from the house. I also have a travel adaptor that lets me plug a UK 3 pin plug into a US socket. So I reckon I have all I need for a 20 amp camp site connection. I'm waiting for confirmation from the PSU builder that 110V supply is OK. Looking good ๐Ÿ™‚ I don't think I'll need the US 30 amp to 20 amp adaptor for my low demands.

Mdmheath
Explorer
Explorer
NinerBikes wrote:
Driving a UK car in the USA, the drivers side with steering wheel will still put you on the wrong side of the vehicle for operating in the USA. There's more considerations that just your voltage when operating a vehicle in the western hemisphere.

This is something many UK drivers are used to - we take our cars and RVs to Europe Its quite straightforward.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Driving a UK car in the USA, the drivers side with steering wheel will still put you on the wrong side of the vehicle for operating in the USA. There's more considerations that just your voltage when operating a vehicle in the western hemisphere.

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Question for the OP. The below quote is in the literature. Does your caravan have a 16 amp or less power supply (PSU)? I ask because I keep finding these.

It is possible that the 230V mains electrical equipment may not all operate simultaneously. A typical UK motorhome site mains hook up point provides a maximum output of 10 amps and on some continental sites the available output may be as low as 5 amps.

for the electricians: the OP's RV may very well use a 230V AC 16 amp setup.

download and open in Acrobat Reader - go to PDF page 51 (rotate clockwise)
http://assets.swiftgroup.co.uk/swift-group/handbooks/2013%20Owners%20Handbooks/2013%20Van%20Conversi...

download and open in Acrobat Reader - go to PDF page 61 (rotate clockwise)
http://assets.swiftgroup.co.uk/swift-group/handbooks/2013%20Technical%20Handbooks/2013%20Van%20Conve...
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

Broccoli1
Explorer
Explorer
Mdmheath wrote:
Broccoli1 wrote:
Mdmheath wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nhdrffhi15jd3y9/NGhV45luku
Broccoli1 wrote:
What does your Mains hook up plug look like?

Can you post a photo?

Male end of my hook up cable

Looks like you'll need a couple adapters:
one for your Hook Up Cable
Hook Up adapter

and then one more to connect to North American receptacles

adapter to North America Receptacle

Looks like this arrangement would allow me to plug into a US household socket - but what about camp grounds? Is there a different US plug at the end of your hook up cables or it the same as a household one?

Yes and NO ๐Ÿ™‚ We do have a dedicated receptacle for 30amp 120v Travel Trailers/Rv but you won't need that one because you said you are not running an air conditioner and the Campgrounds will have a regular socket as well.

One more adapter ๐Ÿ™‚
30amp RV USA 120v to Regular 15amp 120v
06 F250 V10 SB 4x4 Gulp Gulp
WW FSC2800
Rhino 660- 1980 Cobalt 18DV
CRF 50 & CRF 70
"Shoot, I'm the world's best backwards driver!"

Mdmheath
Explorer
Explorer
Broccoli1 wrote:
Mdmheath wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nhdrffhi15jd3y9/NGhV45luku
Broccoli1 wrote:
What does your Mains hook up plug look like?

Can you post a photo?

Male end of my hook up cable

Looks like you'll need a couple adapters:
one for your Hook Up Cable
Hook Up adapter

and then one more to connect to North American receptacles

adapter to North America Receptacle

Looks like this arrangement would allow me to plug into a US household socket - but what about camp grounds? Is there a different US plug at the end of your hook up cables or it the same as a household one?

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Martyn wrote:
Mdmheath wrote:
Just got some great news from my RV manufacturer. The inbuilt mains box has has an automatic switch that accepts either 110 or 240v. So I'll just need a pigtail adaptor thingy to attach my hook up cable to.
Gas pipe adaptor plans looking good too.
Many thanks for all the usefull advice. Wild flowers and mountains here we come!

That's pretty neat. Probably because of the closeness of mainland Europe and all of their 110v systems. Nice to see a proactive manufacturer! ๐Ÿ™‚

Most if not all of "mainland Europe" also uses 220-240VAC 50Hz.

World voltage and frequency list